• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO Rescues - Re-re-homing.

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
If someone adopts a rabbit from you, that is then bonded into a pair/trio and then the adopter can no longer keep the rabbits, with the rule that most have of 'if you can no longer keep the rabbit - you must return it to a rescue' - do you take JUST the adopted bun, or do you take the trio, as we all know its not always best to break up a bond unncessarily.

Just curious, thank you :)

Last edited:
If someone adopts a rabbit from you, that is then bonded into a pair/trio and then the adopter can no longer keep the rabbits, with the rule that most have of 'if you can no longer keep the rabbit - you must return it to a rescue' - do you take JUST the adopted bun, or do you take the trio, as we all know its cruel to break up a bond unncessarily.

Just curious, thank you :)

That's a very leading and biased question and essentially calling anyone who separates them, cruel. If anyone does separate, it would not be a surprise if they didn't answer.

Ultimately, for us, it would depend on why the rabbits were being surrendered and if the home wanted to surrender them all.

We would endeavour to keep them together and would guide the owner to do the same. If one rabbit came from us, and another from another rescue we would liaise with the other rescue/s with the aim of keeping them together.

That's a very leading and biased question and essentially calling anyone who separates them, cruel. If anyone does separate, it would not be a surprise if they didn't answer.

Ultimately, for us, it would depend on why the rabbits were being surrendered and if the home wanted to surrender them all.

We would endeavour to keep them together and would guide the owner to do the same. If one rabbit came from us, and another from another rescue we would liaise with the other rescue/s with the aim of keeping them together.

I will attempt to reword then, obviously wasn't intended to be leading and biased. That's why i used the word 'unncessarily'.

Thanks for answering with how you guys would do it though.

The rescues I've had experience with would keep them together as long as it was a happy threesome. Sometimes groups or even pairs aren't terribly well suited and going into rescue can de-stabilize the bond even more.

We don't do rehoming, but I can honestly say I've never split rabbits who have arrived at the sanctuary as a bonded pair/group.

If it were me I would take all of them and keep them altogether, if one is from anther rescue then I would talk to that rescue and work it out

I would never, ever split rabbits, I think it's wicked and cruel

I couldnt ever imagine Rodge & Orla being seperated if I could no longer care for them. They never leave each others side!

I'd agree and say it was cruel if the bond was clearly strong.

I know that Lou at Hopper Haven would take in the lot. When I lost Pearl and was really struggling to cope being a bunny mom Lou offered Alvin a forever home at the sanctuary with Holly :love: :love:

We would take them all..and as others have said, if any were from another rescue inform them and discuss who takes the pair/trio in.

As Donna said I'd take them all. We have quite a few extremely happy rabbits here who only got their places because they were lucky enough to have been bonded to one of our Hoppers. In fact two of our most talented biters got their places that way:?

I rehomed a bunny out of a litter and told the lady i would take her back no questions asked if need be and a few months later i got her back complete with four babies sigh

I would (and have) taken the lot back in.

This has happened to me twice now. In both cases the rabbits were then rehomed and are very happy with their new lives (as I regularly either see them or are in contact with their owners).

Back