• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with sexing rabbit *WARNING talk of rabbit bits

lousilverfox

Mama Doe
ok so went to the vets last week and he wasnt 100% sure but thinks that JaJa is actually a girl.

Had a look myself last night and im still not convinced.

when checking JaJa last night something did pop out but had a little hole on the top of it.

Do male buns have little holes on the head of their *ahems* ?

I wish i could of taken a pic

I have checked out pics online to compare him/her too. Still really unsure though :oops:

how old is Jaja?
if your vet cannot sex the bun then I would say perhaps another vet maybe a good idea..unless bun is very young or has "strange" genitals

A male has a tube with hole in end..female looks more like triangular shape with slit in..they can look very similar in some young bunnies

how old is Jaja?
if your vet cannot sex the bun then I would say perhaps another vet maybe a good idea..unless bun is very young or has "strange" genitals

A male has a tube with hole in end..female looks more like triangular shape with slit in..they can look very similar in some young bunnies

JaJa is around 14 weeks old now.

I think the prob is, deciding if it is a slit or a hole :oops:

JaJa hasnt any ball sacks yet, which i think made the vet think that JaJa is a girl

At 14 weeks a vet should def be able to sex the bun..even if no visable testicles if it's a male, could still be fertile.
Try a different vet..or hold the bun carefully and part the fur round area..ask a friend/relative to take a pic and post on here..take a couple..and we may be able to help:D

We had this with Buckley.
Apparently if you feel gently you should be able to feel the testicles resting in the lower abdomen if they aren't yet descended.
Our vet felt for testicles and concluded male on the basis he could feel them even though he couldn't see them, and Buckley was hard to sex on sight as it were.

"ball sacks" :lol: I am so mature :oops:

I'm sorry you're still having problems I'm sure they'll work it out in the end! Then you can decide on pink or blue decorations!

"ball sacks" :lol: I am so mature :oops:

I'm sorry you're still having problems I'm sure they'll work it out in the end! Then you can decide on pink or blue decorations!

:lol: i didnt know what else to call them!

will take a photo tonight and post it back up here.

its not a big deal either way, its just i really want to know if he is a she or a he :lol:

ok here goes, this was the best pics i could take. I have resized them smaller so hopefuly they will shrink :oops:

jajabits.jpg

jajabits2.jpg

I'd say that looks more like my Gordon (males) bum to Beano's (female) but I have no experience at all with sexing rabbits so could be wrong there.

Hmmm :? Beano my girls bum looks nothing like it, she was 9 weeks old when she was sexed as a deffinate girl so you'd think by 14 weeks you should be able to tell :? Hope some one else can come along and give you more opinions :)

Hmmm :? Beano my girls bum looks nothing like it, she was 9 weeks old when she was sexed as a deffinate girl so you'd think by 14 weeks you should be able to tell :? Hope some one else can come along and give you more opinions :)

yeah you think the vet would know but he really cant tell, he said if he was really pushed for an answer he would say that jaja is female

yeah you think the vet would know but he really cant tell, he said if he was really pushed for an answer he would say that jaja is female

Hmm, my vet said to me that a penis tends to be further from the anus than a vulva because of the required room for testicle droppage.
There seems to me to be a good amount of ballbag room there.
I hope someone more experienced can answer for you :)

Hmm, my vet said to me that a penis tends to be further from the anus than a vulva because of the required room for testicle droppage.
There seems to me to be a good amount of ballbag room there.
I hope someone more experienced can answer for you :)

do you know what age roughly their balls drop? :)

First pic loks like a male but the 2nd more like a slit but could be cos your pulling the skin a bit
Does the tube pop out if you press gently round the area? if so take a clear large pic of it and re post :?

First pic loks like a male but the 2nd more like a slit but could be cos your pulling the skin a bit
Does the tube pop out if you press gently round the area? if so take a clear large pic of it and re post :?

Thats as clear as it gets im afraid! pic taken on o/h phone. it does pop out a bit but doesnt a females bit do the same tho?

im not going back to check today, i think JaJa has had enough of me inspecting him/her

Just had a lady come round who is very rabbit savvy, she use to run a rabbit rescure, was were i got Milly from. JaJa is 100% a boy! :D

will just have to wait now for his plums to appear :lol:

Back