• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

1st night here, all caecotroph's not eaten.

jeny

Warren Scout
She's 8 weeks 3 days, gave her a bowl of food which was supplied, she's weaned onto veg so I gave her some spring greens. Her poops were fine yesterday and she had hay and water. But this morning there were squashed poos on the ledge of her shelf.:?

Is everything ok?

Really sorry but I dont know so much about baby bunnies except that their digestive systems are even more sensitive to upset than adult bunnies and that they are more susceptible to getting ill more quickly.

I dont know what to advise so will just bump this up and hope someone can help.

I was advised to not give Buckley any concentrated food (pellets/ muesli) for at least 24 hours after bringing him home.
Baby buns get stressed easily and the rich food combined with this can really upset their tummies leading to excess caecotrophes.

I would say only give the bunny a little bit of food, gradually increase it so that while she is getting used to her surroundings her tummy isn't working so hard.
She should be eating mostly hay as this is best for her digestion and will aid in relieving her stress :)

As she is unlikely to eat them simply remove the poops from her cage (it's a hot humid day and flies love the caecotrophes.

It took us about a month to get Buckley up to an amount where he was getting a shot glass of pellets without excess cecals. Funnily enough, the more settled and confident he got the more rich food we could give him.

Hmm, I gave her what the lady told me to, she's got a bowl of what she was being fed anyway.

She (Indy) was eating the megazorb last night so I've covered it with hay (silly bun). She was on sawdust with her mam.

I'll keep an eye on her.

i was told to only feed hay and a small amount of dry food no veg untill at least 3 months and then only introduce 1 veg at a time in small amountshun...dont no how right that is but it seams to of worked ok but all bunnies different.....

:lol: @ hay stiucking out lol

I would try and encourage her to eat more hay. You do kno they should have hay 24/7 and that 80% of what they eat should be hay.

Cut back a little on the pellets until her cecals are eaten. For adult rabbits the reccomended amount is one eggcupful but for young growing rabbits some people prefer to feed some more.

I also would just keep her on the spring greens, don't introduce anything else.

Many the times young rabbits don't eat the cecals. It can be also that her diet is to rich, ie. getting too much pellets and they feel they don't need to have any. And when just after coming to a new house they are stressed so mightened eat any. Wen I firsst got Marley he didn't eat his and even when he started eatting his he always left a couple behind too for a while.

Good luck :)

i had the same problem with my 8 week old bunny, Buttons. ive kept him off of veg until 12 weeks as advised and have only been giving him 10 pellets or about a palmful per day. This has incouraged him to eat loads of his hay which is fab!Now he is 12 weeks and only occasionally leaves excess ceacals, usually when he's been having something new to his diet etc... then settles down again. i think it takes awhile for bunnies to get used to there surroundings so try not to worry too much. i just clean them out so flies dont get attracted to them. and anyway if the problem persists you can always ask your vet :wave:

Thanks

She's got hay24/7, it was in a rack, now its everywhere. :roll:

Shes on a museli mix, which I know is not everyone's favourite but it's what she was being fed with her mam and what I've been given to tide over.

She's already weaned onto veg.

Personally, i'd go back to basics.

Cut out ALL veg.

Go for muesli / hay only for 1-2 weeks - see how the caecs are - if they clear up completely then you know it was definately the veg.

Then you can start from scratch with introducing veg again, one item at a time and monitoring how things go and if bunny is fine after ~48hrs of having that veg, try another.... etc etc.

Thanks Graham. I'll see how things are in the morning. She's been pooping lovely but tiny (she's small too) golden nuggets all day.

I agree with everyone. Just lots of hay and a little bit of food. Putting the hay everywhere as you have done will encourage to her to eat it. It's just more messy for you. :)

When gracie was seperated form her mum at 4 weeks she was on like an 2 egg cup full of pellets twice a day, as their babies and growing they need more! constant hay and no veg!

I started giving veg at 6weeks but litrally half an apple slice or 1 slice of carrot or tiny bit of spring greens, i would say cut all veg out for now, up the hay, and cut down on pellets and build them up slowly

at 12 weeks i cut down on the pellets to 1 egg cup twice a day!

Back