• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybody awake!? PLEASE it's an emergency!

Zara

Mama Doe
I'm such an idiot! It's all my fault! A single ibuprofen tablet had somehow fallen into the rabbit run, I don't know who or why but when I retrieved it almost half of it had been nibbled away :cry: I think it was Rascal

I don't know what to do! The vets is closed, I have no way of taking them to the emergency vets and I'm terrified I've seriously harmed him!

Please, anybody, I need advice, anything! I'm staying up with them.

I think Ibuoprofen actually gets used for rabbits at times if I'm correct, so the medication itself isn't a danger as far as I know.
It will be a high dose, but hopefully it won't cause harm.

Usual stuff... Try and get them eating as much hay as possible. Lots of fresh water, keep a close eye on them.

I would call the emergency vet for advice.

Keep an eye out for any signs that they don't feel so good. Make sure they eat plenty of hay and drink plenty of water.

I've given them plenty of hay and water, both rabbits are acting normally, hopping about and eating hay. I'm also phoning vets for advice in the morning, I just can't believe how stupid I've been :cry:

Ibuprofen can be used in buns but the dose is tiny, afraid I can't remember what it is but the max dose is much lower than 200mg. Phone the emergency vet and keep an eye on eating and poo output.

Try not to blame yourself, these things happen. Oidhche got into my Zolpidem last year and she is just fine :wave:

I know I'm pretty late with my reply but someone else's bun did this a while back and they were fine. Just ring the vet anyway and they should be able to tell you the maximum dose a rabbit can have. As long as it's under that I would watch them both carefully and stick with their normal diet. Good luck.

Zara, i hope the rabbits are ok today? Sounds like it was harmless to them as they were eating/drinking and acting normally - sounds like you had a fright though!

Hope everything is ok xx

I'm afraid I missed this thread last night but I'm also keen to hear that the buns are OK today. :wave:

hey! Are they okay? My bun is the one that did this a while back in the link you were given, he was okay but a big bunny. Definately keep an eye on his poos for a few days, vet said to watch for very dark poos (blood in them) or diorrhea (sp). I think the other symptoms were on that thread, cant remember. My bun is 3.6kg and ate around 100mg ibuprofen.

Hi all, sorry wasn't on sooner :wave: bunnies are both ok (although slightly annoyed at my pokings and proddings :lol:) poop is normal, eating and drinking normal, all seems well. Will of course keep a close eye on their poop for a few more days. I kind of did over-panic (well we all do :oops:) but sleep deprivation + incident never makes a good mix.

Actually I'm now more worried about what the pills did to me! :shock: I woke up this morning after taking some for my headache with swollen, puffy eyes. Sods law or what? :roll:

Back