• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is anyone else worried about their buns in the heat?

I feel awful for them too, the best thing to do is to make sure they are in a cool room, use ice pods or I know some people use fozen bottles of water, we also use cage fans for them and cooling tiles.

I wouldn't worry too much tbh. I'm finding it pretty hot tonight, but bunny has completely ignored his ice pod, apart from giving it a couple of licks! So I'm just assuming that he's not that bothered by the temperature.

If its an outside hutch/run I wet the slabs and hang a wet towel/sheet over the run, its surprising how much cooler that feels :wave:

Not worried really for my indoors lot. I have ceiling fans , blinds and tile floors. So of course they all pile on my bed :roll:

I have a fan on, they have cooling toles, they have a tub of ice if it's really warm and Milly just stole a bit of ice lolly, although I wouldn't recommend that part :lol:
I sometimes put ice cubes in water bowls too to keep it cool

I just make sure all the waters are fresh and cold throughout the day and keep them out of the sun. It's too hot at the moment isn't it.

Our back room stays lovely and cool for the majority of the day but yesterday, Louie decided to snooze under the table in the conservatory where it was boiling :roll:

Mine are sheltered really where they are and the shed/run is on concrete on a raised area so its pretty cool actually, although they have icepods, when they free range and its hot they sprawl out under the apple tree with their ice pods.

my indoor ones have shady, cool spots but never seem particularly bothered - i kept the living room curtains half closed yesterday but still had to move a puddle of eric from direct sunlight:roll:

outside, i use ice pods (ignored!) and a sheet across the top of the run which i showered with the hose regularly.

Peg damp towels onto hutch/run wire to allow any air to be chilled before entering bunny area.

Wring out the towels, not dripping wet.:roll:

Keep repeating as and when neccessary.

Dampen bunnies ears with luke warm water to help cool down. Rather like us running our wrists under cold water to cool down.

On hutches/ runs try to use reflective items when making shade. I used to have some old white melamine work surfaces. They gave shade and reflected the heat.

Create a gap between hutch roof and sun. Rather like double glazing but to keep cool.

Just a few ideas for outdoor buns.

Last edited:
I find curtains closed and windows opened cools the rooms down quite a bit. Only problem is it means the bunnies don't get any sunlight. My lops also have a ceiling fan :oops: and they all had ice pods yesterday but they need to go back in the freezer.

Back