• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hammy cage

Kirsty2oo9

Alpha Buck
Could I convert a indoor bunny cage into a hamster cage with mesh and adding levels or would it be 2 big & the hammy would feel *insecure*?

My hammys in a ZZ2.
Hamsters don't get insecure in big cages. Infact, the bigger the better. Mine's just under 4ft and my hammy would still love something bigger!

Oscar is a dwarf and gets insecure in open spaces - you might find some feel insecure in a large cage, but it's not a problem if it's filled with toys.

A rabbit cage is great for a hammy as long as you take care to mesh it completely to prevent escapees. They can climb but are quite clumsy so, when adding levels, it best to design the layout so that there aren't any long drops so add things like cargo nets etc to break the fall (just in case hammy decides to jump from the top floor).

Back