• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Luna - Beautiful Hare - Didn't get her miracle. 18th August 2011

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you may know that I have taken on Luna from 'chance' to try and get to the bottom of her medical issues.

She is very ill with a severe chest infection and is on very high dose ABX and is also on high dose pain relief/anti inflamatories and Panacur.

She can't hold herself up and can't walk. She's got muscle wastage and has a leg which turns in under her. Her leg has turned in like this since she was adopted but sadly it seems to have gotten progressively worse now.

She's getting treatment and we are attempting to get a good diagnosis but at the moment it's unclear what is going on. Safe to say this is not looking good, but we have to try for her. The xrays are inconclusive.

Chance allowed us to get involved to try and ensure she got the best chance (excuse the pun) of being fixed if it's possible.

This evening she did manage to get herself up to a standing position, so that is actually an improvement on her normal ability.

She is captivating, aweinspiring and I am so grateful to Chance for allowing me to share in her life from here on in.

A few photos for you - she's bedded on vet bed which is changed every other day (has puppy pads underneath). She can't be bedded on hay/straw because she gets her legs caught up and can't get them free. This works for her and she noms her way through umpteen piles of hay daily.

Her spirit will see her through this if her body will allow her.

26thJune018.jpg

26thJune015.jpg

26thJune001.jpg

26thJune002.jpg

26thJune009.jpg

26thJune004.jpg

26thJune005.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my she is exactly the reason why I would love to one day own a hare :love:

Lots of vibes for a beautiful girl. Please keep us updated :love:

She is stunning!

I hope she gets better. How old is she? My Inca's leg is turning in on her and it is because of arthritis in her hip.

Poor girl :cry:

I so hope that she can be helped, I know you will do everything possible for her.

Would be nice if her breeder contributed to the huge financial impact this must be having on you.

She is stunning!

I hope she gets better. How old is she? My Inca's leg is turning in on her and it is because of arthritis in her hip.

I don't know if I am honest. She was one of Raven Rexes hares I believe and Kris at Starlights took her in and rehomed to Chance. So I guess we should be able to find her age.

The xrays didn't show signs of anything that would indicate arthritis although it is a distinct possibility that the beginnings of it are part of the problem. There are no signs of old breaks etc but the top of the ball joint of the leg in question is slightly flattened and so could be causing a lack of movement. It is possible that the pain she had experience previously has caused her to not want to use the leg properly and so it has become wasted as a result. So maybe in time with the physio and the pain meds we might see an improvement.

I don't know if I am honest. She was one of Raven Rexes hares I believe and Kris at Starlights took her in and rehomed to Chance. So I guess we should be able to find her age.

The xrays didn't show signs of anything that would indicate arthritis although it is a distinct possibility that the beginnings of it are part of the problem. There are no signs of old breaks etc but the top of the ball joint of the leg in question is slightly flattened and so could be causing a lack of movement. It is possible that the pain she had experience previously has caused her to not want to use the leg properly and so it has become wasted as a result. So maybe in time with the physio and the pain meds we might see an improvement.

Hopefully the meds will work their magic.
Acupuncture could also be an option.

Poor girl :cry:

I so hope that she can be helped, I know you will do everything possible for her.

Would be nice if her breeder contributed to the huge financial impact this must be having on you.

Thanks Jane, we will do all we can to fix her. I hope we can.

Beautiful girl - that final pic reminds me of the Luck Dragon (Falcor) in The NeverEnding Story.

Hope luck and your spirit (and Duchess' loving care) bring you through Luna. xxx

It is possible that the pain she had experience previously has caused her to not want to use the leg properly and so it has become wasted as a result. So maybe in time with the physio and the pain meds we might see an improvement.

I'd say that's a distinct possibility - my vet says that arthritis and similar problems are known to accelerate faster in the absence of pain relief, for some detailed technical reason that I didn't understand and because the posture adopted to minimise pain actually exacerbates the problem.

She is a gorgeous girl and you are a complete star for taking her in and trying to fix her, no doubt at great cost from the sound of it!

Hopefully the meds will work their magic.
Acupuncture could also be an option.

This is something we might consider because I know some folks have had some good results. We have a vet at work who does acupuncture for animals so it is certainly a possibility.

I think the first thing we have to fix is her chronic chest infection - I have to roll her and almost pat her to help her lungs; as she lies down on the bad leg side all the time, the vet is concerned that it will cause the infection to possibly collect on that side. So I need to keep it all moving. I do think that she sounds better already.

I'd say that's a distinct possibility - my vet says that arthritis and similar problems are known to accelerate faster in the absence of pain relief, for some detailed technical reason that I didn't understand and because the posture adopted to minimise pain actually exacerbates the problem.

She is a gorgeous girl and you are a complete star for taking her in and trying to fix her, no doubt at great cost from the sound of it!

trying not to think about that bit Alison. I have however had a donation from a forum member which has paid for the xrays. She is wonderful and Im very grateful to her. She is following Luna's story very closely.

Would a nebuliser help ?

It might well Jane, and I know a nice lady near you who might lend me hers if I ask nicely ;) (Janice loaned me hers once before for one of my GP's).

I hadn't thought of that but will ask the vet and see what she thinks about the combination of nebulising and the meds. She didn't want to go down the road of Bisolven or anything at the moment because of her posture and her lung position and lack of movement, but I will certainly ask the question.

Thanks for that.:D

In your dreams Jane :lol::lol::lol:

Loads of vibes for the gorgeous Luna, I really hope and pray that she can come through this, I have used accupuncture successfully with a couple of mine, so it's an option for you

Good luck with her Helen

Aaaw - that last photo - her eyes are so expressive.

Sending loads and loads of vibes for beautiful Luna. Would it be OK if I sent her some reiki healing, Helen?

Aaaw - that last photo - her eyes are so expressive.

Sending loads and loads of vibes for beautiful Luna. Would it be OK if I sent her some reiki healing, Helen?

She accepts reiki or anything anyone wants to send her way. I have done lots of hands on today and she drags the energy out of my hands - her hind legs give off so much heat.

Please send as much as you like!

Back