• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth Removal

Hi everyone,

Ive Booked one of my rabbits in for tooth removal tomorrow hes a brown drawf lop.
He had his front teeth burred down three weeks ago but they have grown back double the size they were and have started to go into his top gum the last two days, the poor thing.

Hes practically stopped eating now, hes trying but just gives up :( ive tried giving him grass, cabage but he just can't eat it.
Little worried that if hes hungry and dehydrated it could affect how the teeth removal goes, as he needs to be strong in order to be put under anaesthetic surely?

Could anyone tell me their experiences of tooth removal? im so worried he won't wake up again :( hes only a small rabbit, around 9 months old. how long does it take to remove the teeth? how long on average would it take for them to wake up? what is the procedure?

Sorry about all the questions, any answers to any of the above would help..

just love him to bits, already had to suffer putting one of his babies to sleep last week :(

Thanks,

Kate

Hi:wave:

I don't know how long the actual operation takes, but I've got 4 bunnies that have had their incisors removed, the boys have also been neutered at the same time, they've come home and started eating straight away:D

Is your bunny still pooing, if he's not eating they may not be able to remove his teeth and they might suggest that they are burred again and removed next week.

Is he drinking as he will soon become dehydrated in this weather, if he eats pellets try and soak them so they are soft to encourage him to eat.

Good luck at the vets

Hi:wave:

I don't know how long the actual operation takes, but I've got 4 bunnies that have had their incisors removed, the boys have also been neutered at the same time, they've come home and started eating straight away:D

Is your bunny still pooing, if he's not eating they may not be able to remove his teeth and they might suggest that they are burred again and removed next week.

Is he drinking as he will soon become dehydrated in this weather, if he eats pellets try and soak them so they are soft to encourage him to eat.

Good luck at the vets

Hi :) Thanks for your reply.

How long did u have to leave your boys at the vets for?

Yes he is still pooing, ah ok hes trying to eat, I think hes getting the odd pellet down but not much. I really want to get the procedure over and done with really.

Hes drinking a tiny amount, not from his bottle but from a bowl. But by tomorrow I would expect he will be dehydrated he needs more than what he is getting for sure :(

Thanks, I just hope he will be ok. Kate x

:wave: Hi, sorry to hear about your bun's dental problem. :( My rabbit had his incisors out 2 weeks ago. I was worried sick but it went absolutely fine and he is much better without them! :D He was eating as soon as he woke up, hay, veg, pellets, the vets said he was having a food party. :lol:

Your rabbit will feel much better without them, the teeth are so long! :shock: Good luck, try not to worry. We dropped my rabbit off at the vets at 9am and picked him up at 5pm. :)

Try giving him pellets soaked in water, they might be easier for him to eat. Or if you have a syringe you could soak his pellets and make them into a paste and syringe them to him. Keeping him eating is very important.

I've had two rabbits with their front teeth out. They cope much better than they did before.

:wave: Hi, sorry to hear about your bun's dental problem. :( My rabbit had his incisors out 2 weeks ago. I was worried sick but it went absolutely fine and he is much better without them! :D He was eating as soon as he woke up, hay, veg, pellets, the vets said he was having a food party. :lol:

Your rabbit will feel much better without them, the teeth are so long! :shock: Good luck, try not to worry. We dropped my rabbit off at the vets at 9am and picked him up at 5pm. :)

Awww bless him, I hope so much my bun recovers like yours did!
It's just so scary knowing theres that chance they won't wake up :( im feeling much more positive now after hearing from you :)

I'm dropping mine off at 9 too, hoping I will get him back a little earlier than 5 though, i will be worrying so much :(

Try giving him pellets soaked in water, they might be easier for him to eat. Or if you have a syringe you could soak his pellets and make them into a paste and syringe them to him. Keeping him eating is very important.

I've had two rabbits with their front teeth out. They cope much better than they did before.

Ive just tried that and hes eat a few bits! :) hoping he will keep on going to the bowl now. I may try the syringe if he still don't eat that much.

I know, it will be a much better life for him when them horrible teeth are taken out just can't wait to see him happier when he comes back and eating freely will be such a relief!

Back