• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What does teeth grinding look like?

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
My bunny had an operation on Friday, he was given pain medication by the vets and then we've given him Metacam today and yesterday to try to ensure he isn't in pain.
He is weeing, pooing and eating well - he seems pretty well in himself, he is stretching and moving around (although this is limited by his confidment to a recovery cage to ensure he doesn't rip his stitches).

He does seem to be chewing nothing though? Is this teeth grinding?
A part from the chewing on nothing - he seems fine in himself, but I'm worried he is in pain. Please can someone advice me what teeth grinding looks like?
The other sign I was told to look out for was crouching but I haven't noticed this, as I mentioned above, he seems happy to move around.

Teeth grinding is usually a back and forth motion, with a tense jaw and sounds like someone grinding their teeth. A rabbit doing that would usually sow other behavioural clues though like being reluctant to eat/move or sitting crouched/huddled up.

What was the operation? Was it a teeth op? If so it could just be his mouth feels weird.

It was a neuter - or at least that was the plan!

He went in for a castration as we were told he was an unneutered boy, but the vet couldn't find his testicles n he(the rabbit) has really odd genitals. The options were then he was either a girl, a boy with undescended testicles or a hermaphrodite - so we decided that he needed to be looked at internally due to the cancer risk associated with being an unspayed female or the complications with undescended testicles.
In the end the vet couldn't find any sex organs internally or any evidence which would be left by a neuter, either male or female.
So unfortunately my poor rabbit didn't even have anything done in his operation - just a vet rooting around his abdomen. I feel really guilty about it.

So it was like a spay but worse because of the poking around. :-(

Teeth grinding is usually a back and forth motion, with a tense jaw and sounds like someone grinding their teeth. A rabbit doing that would usually sow other behavioural clues though like being reluctant to eat/move or sitting crouched/huddled up.

What was the operation? Was it a teeth op? If so it could just be his mouth feels weird.

I think as he is showing no other behaviour that indicates pain and it doesn't seem to be a back and forth movement - that he isn't in too much pain.

I will make sure his teeth are checked at the next vet visit in a couple of weeks to see if this is the problem.

Thank you so much for the reply.

No problem, if you're worried you can always give you vet a call and talk it over but if he's already on pain relief and is acting normal otherwise I wouldn't be too worried :)

No problem, if you're worried you can always give you vet a call and talk it over but if he's already on pain relief and is acting normal otherwise I wouldn't be too worried :)

Yep, I'm in full agreement here.
I'd just add to keep an eye on his poops - that he's passing a normal amount & size.
If the amount falls off a lot or the size gets much smaller it could be that the gut has slowed down after being disturbed by the vet looking for sex organs.
I've got a very "quirky" bun wih a sensitive tummy,who does this but behaves perfectly normally if his gut slows down a bit. Plenty of hay, as you are doing is the perfect natural answer.

this might seem obvious to you, or not.. but when you say chewing nothing are you sure its not his caecotrophs? my barney spends ages chewing his and i know he isnt in pain currently.

can you hear the grinding noise?

this might seem obvious to you, or not.. but when you say chewing nothing are you sure its not his caecotrophs? my barney spends ages chewing his and i know he isnt in pain currently.

can you hear the grinding noise?

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

I think on reflection that he might be. I was just so worried about him being in pain.

Thank you for the post :wave:

Back