• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building Hutches- Can one person do this?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I have some of lynns- double holiday hutches that i want to go up. I bought some similar types of of 6ft hutch triples that were a nightmare to put up.

Is this something one person can build. Any advice on how to do this successfully? What equipment will i need to get ready before i start?

I'm not very DIY, but i'll give it a go if i can. I've been waiting for my other half to do it for ages now, so i'm contemplating putting it up myself.

I built my Happy Hutch myself . It is just single story though. I just needed a drill with screwdriver bits, and a drill bit to do pilot holes in the floor ply. 3 stories might be more of a challenge on your own though.

I built my Happy Hutch myself . It is just single story though. I just needed a drill with screwdriver bits, and a drill bit to do pilot holes in the floor ply. 3 stories might be more of a challenge on your own though.

This one is only two. I think you can build the first- build the majority of the second then place on top and fix not too hard. I hope :) Mind you two men struggled with the others.

Was it a 6ft happy hutch. Probably about the same dimensions?
Never used a drill lol :)

I've put up both Happy Hutch and Rabbit Hutch Shop (2 storey) on my own. It helps is you have a solid wall to push the hutch against when screwing the side to the back/front. I found with both hutch manufacturers the hardest bit was getting the sides not to move away from the back/front when putting the screw through them (so wall to push it against as above). Clamping them together works for the front but there isn't anything to clamp on the back. You could drill the holes bigger on the back piece so the screw only bites into the side panel wood and not the back panel therefore making a proper joint instead of one with a gap.

One thing to watch with the side panels on the Rabbit Hutch Shop ones - there's a slight jut out on the T&G beyond the framework (can't remember if it's supposes to go at the back of the front) and I got it wrong so had to take it to bits again. :roll:

It's easier with someone helping but I manage all DIY on my own, it just takes more planning.

This one is only two. I think you can build the first- build the majority of the second then place on top and fix not too hard. I hope :) Mind you two men struggled with the others.

Was it a 6ft happy hutch. Probably about the same dimensions?
Never used a drill lol :)

Yes, 6 ft. Hmm, I cannot move my hutch on my own, let alone lift it :lol: you may have to build the two bits then have your OH help with the lifting :D

I wouldn't have a clue how to put a hutch together, I would just get it out of the wrappings and sit looking at it until someone more capable came along :D

I wouldn't have a clue how to put a hutch together, I would just get it out of the wrappings and sit looking at it until someone more capable came along :D

Haha :lol:. I am currently building a hutch-run joining bit (with supervision from OH). I love building things, but I am a bodger unless under supervision :lol:. Measuring and planning is for sissys, :lol:

If you're fairly strong then it shouldn't be too hard.

I use a power screwdriver, and if pilot holes aren't already drilled #(they are for Lynnes - mine was easily put together) then use a drill too to save splitting the wood.

I've put together doubles and triples and even sheds on my own (although I've ached like hell afterwards!!)

It depends on the design - you might need more than one pair of hands to hold stuff while you drill/screw pieces together.

But, I put my chinchilla cage together by myself (my own design tho not a flatpack) and I managed it by using lots of G clamps to hold everything together. Was brill, like having 6 pairs of hands :D :D

Haha :lol:. I am currently building a hutch-run joining bit (with supervision from OH). I love building things, but I am a bodger unless under supervision :lol:. Measuring and planning is for sissys, :lol:

Blimey, keen bean :shock::D

As a suggestion have some bricks, blocks and bits of wood ready that you can use as supports when your trying to drill one piece into the other. It saves the hassle of drilling and pieces falling on you:lol::lol:

I usually have a pair of steps ready too as theyre great for leaning things onto:wave:

Thanks all- if i start doing it he may feel sorry for me and help. Is it going to rain at any point today. I think it will take me 6 hours to do if it's a 2 hour job for someone experienced :)

Thanks all- if i start doing it he may feel sorry for me and help. Is it going to rain at any point today. I think it will take me 6 hours to do if it's a 2 hour job for someone experienced :)

If you read the instructions step by step it should be fine:D My ex used to tell me the item was faulty and the instructions were useless on nearly everything but now I do it all myself I just read it and follow the instructions :D

Have built a gas BBQ, greenhouse, a gate (from scratch) and done Poppys shed this year. To be honest I have found it easier doing it by myself :lol::lol:

I've built quite a few 6ft hutches on my own. The hardest were the combos with runs underneath because you really need help to lift the hutch onto the run.

If I can do it anyone can...I'm 5'1'' and a total weakling :lol:

Back