• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to get golden poops? U/D YESSS!!!!

Bunni_xx

Mama Doe
My buns are fed muesli (I know some disagree, but they don't like pellets), a cup of veg twice a day and good unlimited hay. BUT they have small, black poos :cry: What am I doing wrong RU? :cry:

Last edited:
Will most likely be the dry food. When I cut out Louie's pellets his poo's became much bigger and golden.

Oh hun, don't be upset xx Is there any other pellets you could try them on? Do they eat a lot of hay? If they eat a lot of grass bunnies poo's do go smaller and darker or if their hay is more greeny type hay.

If they are getting veggies and lots of good hay then how about cutting the musli down to half a cup?
I found as soon as I introduce a new veggie or give even 1 extra pellet in a day their poo's will become darker.

Also, sometimes thats just the way buns are, have you crumbled them uo and checked inside? Do they look golden then? And are they dry and crumbly?
Is they are they are fine just cut back on the musli because there is no real reason to feed them a lot if they are getting a good ballanced diet (which by the sounds of it they are!) :wave:

How big a cups?

I would go for the same as if you fed pellets, as muesli is generally higher protein/lower fibre anyway. So about one egg cup per average rabbit per day.

As Liz mentioned, golden isn't the only healthy colour. A lot depends on the type of hay/grass portion.

Give just a handful of muesli or cut it out altogether and just feed hay and veg/herbs/weeds. If they eat grass or green hay that may be why the poops aren't golden too.

My buns poos are not golden either, they have hay for pets Ings hay, a handful of readigrass, a half basket full of Oxbow Timothy grass or Orchard Grass, a handful of Oat hay, a handful of mixed dried herbs, fresh veg, small amount of Oxbow pellets

Oh hun, don't be upset xx Is there any other pellets you could try them on? Do they eat a lot of hay? If they eat a lot of grass bunnies poo's do go smaller and darker or if their hay is more greeny type hay.

Hmmm, they eat a decent bit of hay, and a lot of grass. I feed the Chudleys Rabbit Royale one, it's 3/4 of a medium tea mug. Thanks guys.

Eta: unfortunately I can't cut them off dry food as they decline rapidly in weigh :wave: x

Sometimes Hobbes has golden poops and sometimes he doesn't, the only thing that's differed is the hay, same type, different batch.:cry:

Smokey has golden poo but Inky's tends to be a bit darker. Mine have 1/2 tablespoon of Russel Rabbit twice a day and 1 teaspoon of Excel Mature pellets (any more and Smokey gets a sticky bum). In addition, they have unlimited hay and their own volume each day in Dust Free Hay (the soft), so I think sometimes it depends on the bunny.

Hmmm, they eat a decent bit of hay, and a lot of grass. I feed the Chudleys Rabbit Royale one, it's 3/4 of a medium tea mug. Thanks guys.

Eta: unfortunately I can't cut them off dry food as they decline rapidly in weigh :wave: x

The grass is likely what will be making it darker :) As long as they are a good size and crumbly don't worry about the colour too much unless they are black.

That's supposed to be one of the best mixes. Spenser was on it when I got him and I only changed him because he would only eat certain bits, meaning he wasn't getting all the nutrients required.

Spenser's poops aren't golden, although a bit lighter than they used to be. I can understand your reluctance to cut down the mix as I found Spenser's weight dropped when I gave him less pellets to encourage hay eating. I'm not an expert, but if your buns are healthy and have good teeth I wouldn't be too worried, and certainly any changes to their diet should be very gradual.

Break one of the poops open and have a look at the inside. Dudley's poos look dark and hard on the outside, but it's all on the surface, inside they are beautifully light and crumbly. I know that eating lots of grass can make them darker on the outside too, so I think if they have a 'wetter' diet, it does seem to make them dark on the outside but crumbly on the inside. Have a look and see :)

My rabbits are free range,at night when they go to bed they have muesli,unlimited hay and wild plants I pick during the day,their poos are also dark and not big and golden,in fact their poos look just like wild rabbit poo,which i would expect seeing they have just about the same diet apart from a tiny amount of muesli and hay :wave::wave::wave:

My rabbits are free range,at night when they go to bed they have muesli,unlimited hay and wild plants I pick during the day,their poos are also dark and not big and golden,in fact their poos look just like wild rabbit poo,which i would expect seeing they have just about the same diet apart from a tiny amount of muesli and hay :wave::wave::wave:

Hmm they do look like wildie poos :? I feed foraged stuff as well :wave: x

Back