• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spayed male still wont leave doe's alone

lostsouls65

Warren Scout
I had my rabbits spayed over 3 months ago, yesterday I introduced the male back with the females but for the past 24 hrs he has been chasing girls thinking he is still up for the job. Will this eventually stop? I feel sorry for the doe's as he is pestering them all the time and they need to rest. No aggression just him being him. He is a loving buck and harmless but I am worried the girls will get tired. Any advice? Will his hormones ever calm down?

Are you bonding in a small neutral area, that none of the rabbits have been in before?

Chasing and humping is quite normal when bonding and usually settles down; it's their way of sorting their pecking order but it's important that it's done on neutral territory to stand the best chance of success.

Just in case, there is lots of useful info about bonding generally in this thread:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262676

Yes its on neutral territory, I would have thought after 24 hrs the male would calm down. I was told to wait 6 weeks, its been over 3 months now, bless him he still thinks he is up for the job. He is adorable and has a lovely nature to him. All of my rabbits are netherland dwarfs. Should I seek further advise from vets?

Are you bonding in a small neutral area, that none of the rabbits have been in before?

Chasing and humping is quite normal when bonding and usually settles down; it's their way of sorting their pecking order but it's important that it's done on neutral territory to stand the best chance of success.

Just in case, there is lots of useful info about bonding generally in this thread:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262676

Some males do seem to be quite 'humpy' even after neutering. How often would you say he is doing it and have you noticed him slowing down at all?

I would say he is not as bad as when we first introduced him to the others but as soon as a doe goes anywhere near him he is at it again. All i want is for all of them to be happy and keep each other company. Hope he gets the message soon :D

Some males do seem to be quite 'humpy' even after neutering. How often would you say he is doing it and have you noticed him slowing down at all?

It could be more of a dominance thing maybe, so if the does aren't backing down he'll keep doing it or give up. If it is distressing them and he is still doing it after a couple of days maybe they're not the best match?

Back