• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Found baby Cottontails

Nx2ured

New Kit
Hi all,
I am looking for advice on raising these guys. This morning my neighbor decided to mow his hay field next to me. I found my Great Pyrenees in the yard guarding something and went to investigate. She was guarding a dead momma rabbit (mower got her) and three babies. One of the three babies was also dead. The other two are healthy with a full coat of hair, but closed eyes. I have some expensive powdered milk that I bought last fall to raise an orphaned squirrel. The milk is also for Cottontails, has been kept in the fridge, and is still in date. Now, my problem is that I have no way to get bunny poop as my research says they need it. The closest rehabber is 4 hours away and says she cannot take these babies (same thing she said when I called her last fall for the squirrel, who by the way, was released and is doing well). Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Good luck, I hope the little cottontail makes it :)

Maybe someone on craigslist or kijiji or something (I take it that you're in the US?) has pet rabbits that they could give you the caecotrophes of? But then, rabbits normally eat them straight away, I never see my rabbit's caecotrophes... :? Is there maybe another rehabber in the area? the squirrel board has a lot of rehabbers of many different animals, maybe someone on there happens to be in your area with a mom cottontail..

Oh gosh hope they will be ok. Poor little things.

(sorry to hear about the mummy and the baby that passed).

Sending vibes and hope you can find the information/help you need.

Thanks all. I fed them just a little while ago and they ate well. Both babies urinated and pooped a little. I have posted ads looking for someone who has rabbits, but no luck so far. I'll keep you posted.

Were abouts are you? Just wondered if anyone on here might have some suggestions if they knew what area you are in.
Good Luck by the way and well done for helping the poor little buns.
Binky free mummy and baby rabbit.xxxxxx

I am in Tennessee...not exactly legal here. I have sent out several e-mails today searching for someone with a bunny. Someone should bottle that stuff! Anyway, both babies are doing well so far. I am feeding them Fox Valley formula for Cottontails and they are using the bathroom with stimulation.

glad they're doing well! Quite a few people on here have helped baby wild rabbits. If you put 'wildie' into the search function (that's what we tend to call them), you'll probably find some threads about them.

Welcome to the forum! Please do keep us updated.

xx:wave:

Just an update, the little guys are doing well. One has opened his eyes and started nibbling on clover. I have started adding heavy whipping cream to their milk to try to get some weight on them. So far, so good :)

Great news:)
you need to gently stroke their tummies to support their digestion.
do you have infacol in the US (it prevents them devloping gas in their tummies, which is deadly to them) also bio lapis is very good it puts good bacteria into their gut.

The bunnies are now getting active. I have been adding benebac to their milk at every feeding. They are putting on weight and have started eating clover and grass. I am planning to start taking them outside in a run this week to get them used to the outdoors. I'm just not sure how to do it. Should I just put them in the run at dusk and dawn to munch, or go ahead and move them outdoors permanently and feed milk at dawn and dusk?

Back