• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's this wheezing?

bunnygirl75

New Kit
Tonight Hazel,my 2 year old dwarf has started making a grunting/wheezing noise.It's everytime she breathes in.Her nose isn't wet she's not sniffling,she's washing,playing and eating,even running around the house but the wheeze is constant.she doesn't look to be suffering in any way.

Her diet hasn't changed so I'm stuck for what it is.some say hot weather,some say snoring but rabbits don't snore when they're running around or washing.Some say an allergy,like hayfever.

Any ideas?

The wheezing is louder when she's twisted washing her back.

Last edited:
i would take her to the vets so they can listen to her chest. although sometimes the noise can come from the back of the nose aswell. but it could be respiratory problems beginning so best to go to the vet and rule this out as the sooner it gets treated the better. :wave:

eta: my two have respiratory problems and matts noises are louder when he turns to wash aswell.

Wheezing is a high pitched sound in time with bunny's breathing & caused by air passing through narrow air passages at any level.
It's more serious in buns than for us.

I'd definitely take you bunny to the vet. ASAP

Back