• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urine stains on fur

Leximo

Young Bun
Just now I noticed that Buddy has pale yellow urine stains on the inside of his hind legs. His litter tray is cleaned daily. I'm just really worried since with the hot weather coming it could lead to flystrike :?

Is there anything I can do to clean it off? Or could there be an underlying problem?

My Islay has those stains and its not from lack of cleaning. Her problem is she likes to sleep in the litter tray! :roll:

I don't think the stains contribute to fly strike, I think its only something to worry about if its wet :wave:

Sometimes it can be an underlying incontinence problem. If you are worried see a vet.

Also it can be dental related as a bun that isn't cleaning may be struggling too because of teeth related issues.

It can also just be a simple case of laying in the litter tray, if done daily and bedded down enough there shouldn't be an issue. However if you haven't put enough hay bedding over the megazorb or newspaper, whatever your using- then i imagine you may get this problem.

I wouldnt' clean-just leave if just minimal. If it's alot then i'd see a vet.

Thanks for the advice both you :D

It's only a small amount of pale, dried urine - he does spend a lot of time in his litter tray dozing so it could be that. He's going for his neuter on Friday and he will be having a full check-up beforehand, so if it is dental problems then it can be sorted soon :)

Thanks for the advice both you :D

It's only a small amount of pale, dried urine - he does spend a lot of time in his litter tray dozing so it could be that. He's going for his neuter on Friday and he will be having a full check-up beforehand, so if it is dental problems then it can be sorted soon :)

Sounds like you have everything in hand. Just mention it to the vets see if they have any other views on the matter :)

Back