• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on elderly rabbit with abscesses

tomrabbit

Young Bun
Hi again,
Thanks to the great advice I got on here, we got a good care plan in place for Jerry rabbit (15), who has multiple abscesses on his face. As well as oral baytril and eye drops, he is getting injections of penicillin every 2 days which I am giving, and metacam each morning. There wasn't much improvement in his condition, and the abscesses were getting huge. When I saw the vet on Friday, we agreed that we would give it one more week, and if there was no improvement in his general demeanor, we would PTS.
Anyway, on Friday evening, we noticed that Jerry's face, which had been hugely swollen, was almost normal size. The largest abscess had burst! We squeezed out as much of the pus as we could, and took him back to the vet this morning, who was happy with the progress. There is a large lesion, but Jerry is certainly feeling a lot better. We have to watch out for it refilling, and drain as necessary.
So we are going to continue with the injections and oral antibiotics as long as Jerry is behaving like Jerry. Hopefully, we will be able to stop the injections eventually, but there is a good chance he will be on baytril for life, because he is too old to undergo tooth removal, and that's probably the source of the problem.
I was just wondering if anyone could give advice on the best way to manage him now? We know he's on borrowed time, but as long as he's comfortable and enjoying life, we'll keep on with the treatment. We know he's more like himself now, because he's humping his brother like mad :oops:

That sounds like a good plan he's on.
Have you heard on Manuka honey? You can buy it from most health food shops and it's great for dealing with abscesses and acts as a natural antibiotic. You need to get a fairly strong one like 24+ and it can be a bit expensive but I know a lot of people have had success with it. Once the abscess is cleaned out you can pack it with the honey.

http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/

I've had a lot of success with depocillin injection alone. :)

WOW 15? What a little trooper! Glad your little mans coping.this is not something I know too much about so far(thankfully) but perhaps a small dose of metacam daily would help keep any discomfort at bay.I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will be along with some advice soon but just want to wish your little old man lots of get well vibes.;)

Sorry 'jenova' obviously i meant someone much more knowledgeable than me:oops: as I'd not seen any one elses reply before I started to write mine!:D

I'm very pleased to hear about lovely Jerry!!!!!!
Is he on a probiotic to protect his tum from the antibiotics?
May be worth looking into it. Won't do Tom any harm to have some too xxx

Back