• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What a week... bonding problem

wiggie

Alpha Buck
The bond between Paula and Bambam has broken down:cry:. Paula has been basically bullying Bambam. It's been getting worse and despite trying different things, was getting to the point of needing to separating them when Bambam made the decision for us. He stopped eating. He didn't need to stay at the vets and we got him eating again fairly quickly but I can't put them back together.

So what do we do now? He can't go back to the rescue, he's part of the family. If we pair him up with a new rabbit that would make 7 which is getting rediculous, and what if that didn't work? We'd be in the same position again. The only other option is trying to bond him with our pair of neutered females, but I am scared that this will disrupt the bond they already have.

And then we have Paula to think of. The last 2 partners she's bullied now and each time it has got worse. I'm scared to try to bond her with ANY other rabbit. Sigh.,

I know I have to make the decision but any comments would be appreciated.

Find a slightly larger bun with a no nonsense attitude for said lady bun? Or maybe she's just one of those few buns that likes to be alone all the time?

As for your boy, try him with the girls. You can only try and see what happens.

Might sound odd, but is there any way of putting him in a pen, with the other pairs/groups/buns in pens around him and see which one he interacts with in a positive manner? Just a crazy out there idea that might work...

Thanks for reply:wave:. I couldn't put him near the male/female pair as any sniff of another rabbit and the buck starts bossing the doe around. Lots of nipping and chasing. And Janice successfully bonded this pair with another buck a year or so ago but after about 3 weeks the bucks had a massive fight so they went back to a pair again. Thats why we got Paula, as a partner for that buck. I think that pair are best left alone.

We could put him near the girls in the garden and see what happens though:D.

I don't know about Paula. She and Popeye (1st partner) were happy for ages. He was bigger and stronger personality and to start with and it did work well. He stood up to her and the stroppy behaviour was never as bad as with Bambam, but with hindsight the pattern was the same, and worsened with time.

I think we need to sort Bambam first. One step at a time. :roll:

:wave: Can you tell us a bit about your rabbits? We may then be able to work out what the options are.

Hi Janice, Thanks for you help.

Honey & Audrey you bonded for us a few years back. They are the male female pair aged 5 1/2 and 4 years, mini lop and dwarf lop. They are happy together and I would rather leave them out of it. They are both very strong characters that just fit together.

The girls are 2 littermates mini lops about 9 months old. Ash is the stronger character, a more confident nosey bun. She keeps Sooty in check who is more jumpy. Neither likes being handled. The girls live indoors at the moment.

Bam bam is the now lone buck. He is a tiny lionhead cross 2 years old and a very gentle soul. Warey at first but with time very friendly and nosey. A lovely chararcter. He was an easy bond with paula initially.

Paula is 4 years old. Dwarf lop. She has hypocalcaemia and has a calcium supplement daily. She also has some dental disease in her inscisors and arthritis for which she has twice daily metacam. With this you would never know she had arthritis. Whether it is linked to her grumpiness I don't know. Paula knows what she wants. She has never bitten but can box, growl and charge. She is confident and comes to greet you and sometimes lets me pick her up but other times getting near her is quite a challenge!

Paula and bambam have been togther about 3 months. Over the last few weeks paula started growling and chasing Bambam particulary when anyone goes near them or food is involved. This got worse and bambam looked more and more warey until he stopped eating. I should have separated them earlier but it seemed such a big thing to break a bond and they still groomed etc. I have to say though she hasn't growled at all since I separated them, but that may not last!

Hope this helps. All the other buns are well and all are neutered.

x

I would try Bambam with Ash and Sooty. As they are indoor buns you will need to do some careful consideration when trying to work out where you bond them and also with neutralising the house for them when it comes to increasing their territory.

It may be Paula's health issues which make her difficult to maintain a partner, I would leave her a little while to settle before making any decisions about what to do with her.

Thanks Janice:D. Will have to do some careful planning I think. How long would you leave Bambam following his stasis? It was only mild and he is now fine but I don't want to ask for problems. He stopped eating on wednesday and was back eating again on thursday.

Thanks Janice:D. Will have to do some careful planning I think. How long would you leave Bambam following his stasis? It was only mild and he is now fine but I don't want to ask for problems. He stopped eating on wednesday and was back eating again on thursday.

I would leave him at least a fortnight before attempting anything.

Back