• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difficult weekend. Bunny needs vibes...U/d a little better but not right

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
Last night Bunny stopped eating, and was showing signs of pain. We went to the emergency vet and had all the usual treatment. I stayed up with him all night, but he didn't seem to improve. This morning he nommed some raspberry leaves (his favourite), but I hadn't seen any poos at all so we went to the usual vet first thing. He had some more pain relief and gut stimulant, and I've got some here at home too now.

He is trying so hard, bless him. Every time I go and sit with him, he makes an effort to nibble some leaves or hay, and he is licking my hand as if to say he knows I am trying to help him :love:. I just need to see some poos to feel like there is some small improvement. None yet though :(

My lovely vet is going to open up tomorrow morning again just for us :love:

Vibes for little Bun. Keep munching little one. Try and do some poops for mummy!

bunny056.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jane. The vet said he was nicely hydrated so she didn't. I am syringe feeding him water and small amounts of recovery every hour or so. He is actually drinking small amounts on his own as well. I'm worried he has some impaction as no poos coming out of him, so want to keep him very hydrated.

Thanks Whitehood. He has a whole selection of noms around him at the moment, bless him. I am just trying to temp him with anything at the moment.

Np
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like you'r not doing anything for him

I read that if they run a lot that helps their tummies ?

Thanks Jane. The vet said he was nicely hydrated so she didn't. I am syringe feeding him water and small amounts of recovery every hour or so. He is actually drinking small amounts on his own as well. I'm worried he has some impaction as no poos coming out of him, so want to keep him very hydrated.

I usually find that fluid therapy really helps, even if the Rabbit is not clinically dehydrated. When in GI stasis water is rapidly absorbed from the guts, so any ingesta will consequently further dehydrate making it less likely to move through the GI tract.

Hopefully oral fluids alone will be sufficient. I'd aim for at least 10ml/kg every hour.
It is such a worry when a Bun wont eat. My last GI stasis case here lasted for 7 days and I thought I'd go mad from stress.

Lots of vibes for your Bun xx

Np
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like you'r not doing anything for him

I read that if they run a lot that helps their tummies ?

Not at all! Sorry, didn't mean my post to sound like that :lol: I have been tearing my hair out trying to tempt him with stuff. He will eat a little of each thing then give up. In fact I just went and got him some nice juicy grass after reading your post, and he had a little nibble :love:

Not at all! Sorry, didn't mean my post to sound like that :lol: I have been tearing my hair out trying to tempt him with stuff. He will eat a little of each thing then give up. In fact I just went and got him some nice juicy grass after reading your post, and he had a little nibble :love:

Lol
Yay ! :D

I usually find that fluid therapy really helps, even if the Rabbit is not clinically dehydrated. When in GI stasis water is rapidly absorbed from the guts, so any ingesta will consequently further dehydrate making it less likely to move through the GI tract.

Hopefully oral fluids alone will be sufficient. I'd aim for at least 10ml/kg every hour.
It is such a worry when a Bun wont eat. My last GI stasis case here lasted for 7 days and I thought I'd go mad from stress.

Lots of vibes for your Bun xx
I will ask about this tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestion, and also the amounts of oral fluids to give, v helpful :thumb:

Yes I was reading your posts on your poor bun. It sounded terrible. Last night I was in floods of tears just from watching him deteriorate. I find it very hard to deal with before I have seen a vet, as I feel so helpless. I have pulled myself together more today and feel a lot more armed for the task now I have some proper meds to give him, and he is at least trying to eat now so is helping himself a little more.

I hope your bunnies are all doing ok at the moment x

Sending lots of vibes from this direction. Such a charming little bunny. :love:

Thanks Susie and Spencer. He is my very special boy...and he knows it :lol:. I can't bear it when he is ill, it breaks my heart :(

I hope he does some poos soon! (only on a bunny forum would that phrase be a positive one, hehe)

You probably know this already, but bunnies can pick up on our anxieties so try to be as relaxed as possible with him. I know this is hard when you have a bunny not eating - Spenser has had stasis a couple of times.

He is sitting in the litter tray! First time I have seen him there since Friday. I saw him, then backed away very slowly as I didn't want to disturb him :lol:. Will go back and see what he has produced in a minute! Please, please be some poos!

He is sitting in the litter tray! First time I have seen him there since Friday. I saw him, then backed away very slowly as I didn't want to disturb him :lol:. Will go back and see what he has produced in a minute! Please, please be some poos!

Hope he will have left you a nice poo gift !!

4 very sticky, flat poos. I know it's not great, but I am overwhelmed with happiness that something has come out of him :love: now he needs to do a few more. Come on little man.

We are off to the vets at 10 again.

Back