• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will Rabbits EVER Get a Better Deal :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Why cant it be made so much more difficult to obtain Pet Rabbits ?

Why cant legislation regarding Rabbit Welfare be made LAW ?

Why, oh why are so many people capable of seeing Rabbits as 'disposable', bought on a whim and then cast aside as the novelty wheres off. Avertised like some second hand sofa ?

And finally, why are Rabbits not apparently so worthy of the attention of Animal Welfare Organisations, apart from said organisations specifically relating to Rabbits ?

I am SICK of it

I'm with you 100% Jane. It makes me so sad that rabbits (and other small furries) are not considered worthy enough to be as bothered about as cats or dogs. My rant about vets I posted early voices my concern about how little vets know as well so I think we can add the RCVS to the list of culprits too.

I think because they are seen more like lifestock- i.e chickens- to eat.

We dont' eat cats and dogs in this country but we still haven't moved on from eating rabbits.

I think they are considered pests as well. My neighbour was talking about culling the wild rabbits because of the holes they create for the horses, which can cause the horses leg damage.

They are used on more readily for testing then cats and dogs, i believe as people don't see them as being as significant.

Someone said to me last night- why are you rescuing rabbits, why can't you rescue something worthwhile?

The general view on rabbits is they are easy to arrive in this world (breed easily) and easy to get rid of.

Just think about how some people see grey squirrels.

My other friend says rabbits are no different than rats.

Needless to say i don't agree with any of this.

We plan to do alot of welfare campaigning regards rabbit welfare. It being one of the top priorities of our rescue.

My other friend says rabbits are no different than rats.

I agree with your friend. I keep both species and love them both dearly and if anything rats are slightly more engaging as don't have as much fear of humans as rabbits :wave:

I agree with your friend. I keep both species and love them both dearly and if anything rats are slightly more engaging as don't have as much fear of humans as rabbits :wave:

He meant it in a derogatory and negative way. I don't think rats would get much welfare campaigning for either due to thier past history in the world as they were considered carriers of disease.

Why cant it be made so much more difficult to obtain Pet Rabbits ?

Why cant legislation regarding Rabbit Welfare be made LAW ?

Why, oh why are so many people capable of seeing Rabbits as 'disposable', bought on a whim and then cast aside as the novelty wheres off. Avertised like some second hand sofa ?

And finally, why are Rabbits not apparently so worthy of the attention of Animal Welfare Organisations, apart from said organisations specifically relating to Rabbits ?

I am SICK of it

It can happen and it will happen - we just need everybody to make a stand, over and over again, until the message gets through.

Unfortunately there will always be some people who see every species of animal as disposable once they are bored of the novelty, but look how many people join this forum every day? If even half of them stick around and learn something useful and implement what they learn then it's a step in the right direction.

We can all keep writing to the manufacturers of under size hutches, we can all report pet shops who don't look after their animals properly and give duff advice, we can all promote the RWAF and MMC - tiny steps, but positive steps :)

I reckon the first thing that needs to happen is for hutches under 6' to be completely banned. :( Until that happens nearly all pet rabbits in the UK are going to be condemned to unsuitable accomodation. Get that sorted first then we'll think about making it harder to obtain rabbits from petshops and sorting out backyard breeders.

Hi,

I am from Germany and now live in the UK and I am shocked about the situation here.
In Germany animal welfare campaigners got all big pet schops to sign a code of conduct and not to sell live animals.
You can't get any live pets in the big pet shops any more in Germany.
Also if you are convicted of animal gruelty you can get fined up to €250.000 if you fall behind your payments to the local authorities you go to prison.
The German rescue centers are not allowed to put a healthy animal down, unless it is a threat to a human.
Vets are not allowed to put a healthy animal down unless it is a threat to humans.

Things are not perfect in Germany but.at.least we have got.the legal framework to do something about animal cruelty.

But what schocks me even more is how little rights people have in this country. You have no rights as an employee, no rights as a tenant, no rights as a consumer and certainly no rights as a patient.

People in this country need to fight much more for their and their animal's rights.
Patience and politeness will not get you anywhere in live . You just end up getting messed about.

I reckon the first thing that needs to happen is for hutches under 6' to be completely banned. :( Until that happens nearly all pet rabbits in the UK are going to be condemned to unsuitable accomodation. Get that sorted first then we'll think about making it harder to obtain rabbits from petshops and sorting out backyard breeders.

I would like the lot of them shot :censored:

oh gosh I know! :censored: I'm so angry and annoyed. If 2 of my rabbits dentals hadn't been spotted, they would be dead. :cry: When I think of the amount of rabbits with teeth problems that never get noticed, it make's me so upset. Stuck in a 2ft hutch at the bottom of the garden, forgotten about and in pain. :cry:

It can happen and it will happen - we just need everybody to make a stand, over and over again, until the message gets through.

Unfortunately there will always be some people who see every species of animal as disposable once they are bored of the novelty, but look how many people join this forum every day? If even half of them stick around and learn something useful and implement what they learn then it's a step in the right direction.

We can all keep writing to the manufacturers of under size hutches, we can all report pet shops who don't look after their animals properly and give duff advice, we can all promote the RWAF and MMC - tiny steps, but positive steps :)

I agree with the above whole heartedly.

We all will keep trying to make changes because we care.........passionately.

It is extrremely upsetting and disheartening. The way rabbits are treated is an absolute disgrace and makes me feel ashamed to be part of the human race.

I have often sat in the play house with two of mine and cried for all the neglected bunnies out there. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Back