• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breeding for a hobby?

i know alot of people do it, and i mean i got snow from a breeder because there were no girlies in the rescue at the time. but i made sure she was a good breeder ect.

and i mean it's one thing adults breeding as a hobby, but when children do it!

theres a little boy on preloved about 14 if i remember right, who in the last month or so has advertised guinea pigs hes breed, rabbits and now hamsters.

i remember him because months ago he asked if the indoor guinea pic cage i was selling would be ok for his male rabbit to live in outside! for a few weeks:?

That's awful. I personally am anti breeding 99% of the time particularly for species where there are so many in rescue such as rabbits.

I hold the view that if you are going to be a breeder you should stick to one species only as there is no way you have the time, resources, space or knowledge to breed more than one properly.

He doesn't sound like a "breeder" as much as someone who puts 2 animals together and lets them have babies. It's really sad that his parents havn't stopped him :(

I don't like people who breed for money, let alone for fun.

Ok before I go on, I have had litters of rabbits. But they were entirely accidental, and I made sure all the babies went to good homes (through preloved, but I did do house checks and made sure the owners knew about neutering and vaccs).

It's not really a hobby? Keeping rabbits is a hobby, making them breed and creating new life is not a hobby! There's too many things which could go wrong, life and death situations, etc. Children shouldn't be allowed to breed rabbits full stop, because they often panic in stressful situations and do not have enough experience. It's not fair on the rabbits. (Right well I'm 14 as well. I'm really starting to sound like a hypocrite..)

I think that because there are so many rabbits in rescue shelters, you should have to have some kind of license to breed regularly. I've met good breeders and bad. Breeding for 6 months is a hobby, but going on to do it for years is just wrong. It all comes back to the phrases 'breeding like rabbits' and how people perceive rabbits in every day life. I've met people who said 'we let ours breed because it makes them happy. They're natural animals they know what to do. If something goes wrong they'll die and that's nature.' At this point I intervened and persuaded their other half to get the rabbit neutered when he wasn't around...

i know alot of people do it, and i mean i got snow from a breeder because there were no girlies in the rescue at the time. but i made sure she was a good breeder ect.

and i mean it's one thing adults breeding as a hobby, but when children do it!

theres a little boy on preloved about 14 if i remember right, who in the last month or so has advertised guinea pigs hes breed, rabbits and now hamsters.

i remember him because months ago he asked if the indoor guinea pic cage i was selling would be ok for his male rabbit to live in outside! for a few weeks:?

im almost sure i know which boy your talking about i was selling a guinea pig cage and he messaged me trying to sell me a guinea pig so he could free up space coz his guinea pig and rabbit were pregnant! :roll::shock::( might not be the same one but sounds like him :evil:

im almost sure i know which boy your talking about i was selling a guinea pig cage and he messaged me trying to sell me a guinea pig so he could free up space coz his guinea pig and rabbit were pregnant! :roll::shock::( might not be the same one but sounds like him :evil:

is his picture of a horse and username 'brandon?':?

There are some younger breeders on here who are very responsible :wave:

exactly, I don't think age is the issue, I think research is. A 14 yr old could research and know more than a 30 yr old that wants to breed.

the problem with this boy is most likely research. either he doesn't know he's doing wrong or perhaps he just doesn't care.

exactly, I don't think age is the issue, I think research is. A 14 yr old could research and know more than a 30 yr old that wants to breed.

the problem with this boy is most likely research. either he doesn't know he's doing wrong or perhaps he just doesn't care.

well in this case from what ive seen been told ect he doesn't know a great deal as he asked if an indoor guinea pig cage could be okay outside on the grass for his male rabbit for a while..:?

I admit I bred my rabbits as teenager. Had parental permission for one litter a year, and offspring went to good homes or were kept as family pets. Spent a great deal of time, energy and resources on my rabbits then, and Ben gets a lot of my money now!

This child sounds like he's trying to make himself money by handing out baby bunnies to anyone! Thats horrifying and saddening. In the future I wish to breed a small number of pedigree rabbits and show some of them, possibly even work on a new colour,but just breeding and breeding is stupid! Goddess his poor females will die from exhaustion soon.

(Future plan is to keep Tans, very small number in a large set or play huts/run combis. After 2-3 litters each doe gets neutured. Also each breeding buck is found a rehome companion. Even the breeding does wil have rescued companions if I can. One breeding to one rescue is my hope. Keep sme from breeding to omany and gives other bunnies a chance. Retired buns will hopefullt get to come indoors fully if we have the space into a bunny room! Well its my dream!)

Back