• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to get Miley to drink from a bowl??

MillyLop

Warren Scout
Hiya!! :wave: you may or may not know we are currently training Miley before we bring her indoors permanently to free range. Each night we have been bringing her indoors for a play for a few hours, but i'm constantly anxious because we don't yet have an indoor hutch for her and a space that's hers with a water bottle (should be getting this next weekend) but until then, when we bring her in we've been trying to get her to drink from a plastic bowl and she simply sniffs it and hops off! :roll: i'm so worried she's not drinking enough that i've been shortening her play time, even though when we put her back in her outdoor hutch she drinks from her bottle straight away.

So how do I get her used to drinking from a bowl? Or is it ok for bunnies to go without drinking for a few hours? or shall I continue to shorten her play time until we get her indoor hutch hopefully next weekend?

She's probably just not thirsty, none of mine had any trouble switching to bowl. :) In fact they all prefer it!

You could try adding some apple juice in it to sweeten it slightly.

Cool thanks, i'll try adding a bit of apple juice :D

I hope she's simply not thirsty. how long do you think bunnies go without drinking and not get dehydrated? do you know what the first signs are of dehydration?

thanks again :D:D

I always find mine don't drink when in the run, they are more interested in exploring :roll::lol:

Not sure what the signs of dehydration are, sorry.

Does she have veg? Feed her some whilst indoors - buns get a lot of the water in their diet from that and it's tasty too :)

You could sellotape the bottle to a chair leg if you're really worried but unless it's going to be more than a couple of hours I wouldn't worry.

Does she have any access to grass?
If yes than that will provide her with some water

And if you feed vegatables you could wet them and then give it to her as she will consume the water with the veg

:wave:

:wave: thanks for the advice!! we don't really feed her fruit or veg (i'm too anxious that what we feed her will give her an upset tum :oops:), but we do often let her out into the garden for grass, although even this can make her wee turn a stronger colour :?.. but if it means she'll get some liquid into her system that's what we'll do! :D

thanks everyone :love:

Back