• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting nervous, the bubba bunneh is coming (update) TODAY

jeny

Warren Scout
I've never looked after a baby of anything bigger then a hamster before... hope she settles in, and Hobbes isn't put out.

Do you's think I should have the cages in the same room until she's old enough for a spay and then try to bond them? Will they be ok smelling each other?

Last edited:
I have never bonded bunnies before so have no real advice but wanted to say have fun with the baby. How old? I would love to see pictures when he/she arrives.

I'd probably keep them out of sight and smell of each other until they've both been done but maybe others will disagree. I had a little boy and girl hamster in the same room but had to move the girl into another room as the smell of her was sending the wee boy one into insanity. :lol:

Hobbes is already snipped. Someone said to put their cages together but I don't know if that might be stressful.

Hobbes is already snipped. Someone said to put their cages together but I don't know if that might be stressful.

From what I've read though the wee girl may get distressed when she gets her hormones. I'm really not sure though I'll ask someone else and get them to reply to you.

There are a few different approaches to bonding, some people try out the softly softly approach, which is kind of what you're suggesting, putting the cages near each other, maybe swapping some bedding around etc until they are familiar with each others smell etc. It's if you let them see each other and then not see each other and repeat that it can become a lot more difficult to bond them. Crunchie is correct that when she gets her hormones in she might start to get very grumpy with him!

I did a similar approach with Molly and Faline as I had never bonded before and didn't really have a separate area for a long term cage for Faline. I actually bonded Molly and Faline before she was spayed. She was about 12 weeks old and he was already neutered, I bonded slowly by the cages being near each other for a while then put them in the bathroom together for the proper meeting then when she got to about 6 months old took them both in for her spay. I just monitored them really closely whilst she healed. I could tell when her hormones kicked in as she started humping Molly. (Molly is a boy btw) :lol:

Last edited:
It's not really practical to keep them in separate rooms until she can be spayed and then introduced properly but it is possible.

There's a lot of conflicting advice out there, some say little at a time, some say all or nothing.

Back