• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

funny lump

hiya, i am new to this site but thought i would ask advice before i go to the vet tomorrow. i have just noticed a lump on the side of my 5 month old female bunny. to me it looks like a bite n almost has something protruding that i could pull out (of course i wouldnt though!) i dont know what it could be, my inexperience is thinking fly strike but its no where near her bottom. my bunnys are outdoors during the day n indoors when we are home, i have 2 females that were neutured about 3 weeks ago n had their check up n all was fine, they started the e.cuniculi drops about 2 weeks ago but i had to stop last week as hubby went away n i cant do it without him (im too soft with them lol) anyone any ideas what it could be please? thank you xx

Hmm, I dont think that sounds like flystrike, can you see any maggots?
It could well be a bite, could it be a bit of hay that has got caught in there?
Any chance you could take a picture?

you know my daughter said it could be hay..im amazed you said the same thing!! i lost a bunny a few months ago after the vet treated n diagnosed teeth trouble (he died the day after the op) so i am on pins when i see my bunnys poorly..i think the hay thing is a strong possiblity if that can happen..is it common? n does it need treating??...ps thank you so much for posting!! love to you and yr bunnys xx

gosh i didnt realise how busy this site was!! i will upload pics of my baby bunnies n share them, but just need an answer on my hunny bunny (princess petal is my other bunny)..can it be just hay stuck into her flesh? is that normal???..

It can happen, I have heard of it a few times. The vet would be able to diagnose when you take her in, she may be prescribed antibiotics in case of infection.

Back