• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not using the litter tray (Re-educating Murphy...)

Happydays

Young Bun
Hi, (just put this in behaviour but think it might be better in here, sorry!)

Murphy, once a perfectly toilet trained, perfect bunny, has now taken to peeing in another corner of his cage base rather than his litter tray I have been trying to think if anything's changed or upset him but I can't think of anything and he is otherwise a happy, binkying, loving and licky bun!

We have cleaned the base out with white vinegar, tried moving the litter tray into the other corner but he just pees back in the old corner. He seems to not like the litter tray anymore I am grateful he has decided not to pee around the house instead!

I think he is just being awkward! Any ideas?

Last edited:
hmmm..........I was going to suggest moving the litter tray to the other corner before reading that you did. That does sound odd like he doesn't like the tray all of a sudden. Is he having trouble getting in or out of it for some reason or does it smell different? Clean it with anything different? Have you tried soaking the pee up and putting it in the tray then him in the tray maybe he needs it to smell like him or have you cleaned the base of his cage with something different? or do you have a cat that he is protecting the cage from? Just throwing some ideas out there.

No cat, he is a spoiled only child! :lol:

He often sits in the litter tray :roll: (it's one of those corner, triangular ones) like it's his throne or something so no problem getting in it. We've not changed the type of litter or cleaner or anything at all

I have tried not cleaning the tray out on the days I change the rest of the base so it does smell like him but that hasn't worked either. Thankfully he only pees in the cage base,like that's a big litter tray, not around the house ! I have scooped up the peed-on cage litter and put in the litter tray but nope!

Murphy, Murphy, quite contrary!

Thanks

I would suggest getting another litter tray and put it in the other corner, he's obviously decided the original litter tray is for sleeping, no peeing. lol!

I would suggest getting another litter tray and put it in the other corner, he's obviously decided the original litter tray is for sleeping, no peeing. lol!

Actually Julie did that years ago with one of her litter trays. She had 2 and dumped the litter out of one and used it for sleeping. It wasn't the corner one but the high back rabbit one. She would sleep curled up. she has since decided that she likes her rug and a mat style bed to sleep stretched out in. She turned the sleeping tray back into a litter tray. I swear they just do their own thing.:lol:

Back