• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

TriL1

Warren Scout
Hi, I am currently litter training my rabbit, I just have a quick question which may be stupid but he is going to be bonding with another rabbit in a few weeks, if the new rabbit is not litter trained will she follow my rabbit and poo and wee in the litter tray or will it just take some time for her to see what he does? or is there another way I should I do if she starts weeing in different ends of the litter tray?

In my experiance Charlie my bridge bun litter trained himself to the middle of the grass and this is where Jack and Lucky poop and wee :lol:
So she might poop and wee where your current bun litters..
But it might take a bit of getting used to, but hey you could always provide another litter tray :wave:

Hi,

will they both be neutered? Neutering helps a LOT with litter training. Does you rabbit already use one 'spot' to wee in (nevermind about poos for now)? This is where you should put the tray.

When you go to transfer the rabbits into their new home you need to neutralise everything with vinegar so your current rabbit does not smell his scent on it and feel the need to defend his home and attack his new friend. The reason I mention this is because when starting litter training rabbits will use their sense of smell to remember where to wee. So becasue of this he may lose his litter training for a while or change the spot he wees in when you bring his friend home, if you do it before he is properly littertrained. In newly bonded pairs there is often a loss of litter training for a while anyway, as they get used to sharing territory with another rabbit and both marking it as theirs.

So the answer to your question is yes and no. They will likely wee in the same place eventually but you may have to litter train them again once bonded, particularly if the new bunny is not trained already.

Yeah at the minute he only wees and poos in the sleeping area, although there is two areas he wees but one seems to be more of the main area so have put the litter tray there. I've also only put the hay in his litter tray or should i put some hay around in the sleeping bit too?

So I may need to start this process again when I get the new rabbit (yes they will both be neutered), i'll just put megazorb everywhere then when the new rabbit comes and see how they get one with weeing. If they do start weeing everywhere shall I scoop some of it up and put in litter tray and use the vinegar to clean the wee areas up and then hope they both get the jist of it?

Yeah at the minute he only wees and poos in the sleeping area, although there is two areas he wees but one seems to be more of the main area so have put the litter tray there. I've also only put the hay in his litter tray or should i put some hay around in the sleeping bit too?

So I may need to start this process again when I get the new rabbit (yes they will both be neutered), i'll just put megazorb everywhere then when the new rabbit comes and see how they get one with weeing. If they do start weeing everywhere shall I scoop some of it up and put in litter tray and use the vinegar to clean the wee areas up and then hope they both get the jist of it?

for now use two trays, one in each area he wees. That will mean having one in the sleeping area, make sure its a fairly deep one (like an underbed storage box) so you can put plenty of hay in there to keep him warm. Then over time he should use one less and less and then you can remove that one.

I have a bunny that was tricky to littertrain (he was unneutered at the time so doubly bad to litter train!) so what I did was find out what hay he liked best. Then I put rubbish hay (try P@H own brand hay, its not good quality) in the place I didnt want him to wee/poo and his favourite hay in the place I did want him to, because bunnies love to eat at the same time as they toilet. As a result he went in my chosen tray more and so eventually stopped using the other one at all. This may be a little harder to do in a hutch, my bunny had a room indoors so could avoid the rubbish-hay-litter-tray completely, whereas a bun in a hutch uses most of the area, but its worth a try!

edit: sorry forgot to answer the other question, yes thats exactly how to do it!

Back