• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

inside of hutch advice please!

Anna xx

Warren Scout
I had some really good advice from a member of the forum but just wondering
Other opinions,

So my bunnies are 10 weeks, and the problem I was having is they just will not use their litter tray well they do but they go everywhere else too, so maybe they are a little young? Also they continued to eat the straw then the hay as the hutch is lined with lino then I put down paper and dtraw on top
The advice I had was to fill litter tray with hay and paper everywher else with a blanket which I've done & put hey in their bedding area on top floor
Although I've gone out and they have pooped all over blanket lol - not what I was hoping for haha

Do I leave it as is n just lkeep putting the poop in the tray or do I put straw back in...

Help just want a comfy home for them

Thanks x

Hello Anna

Firstly how big is the hutch in feet. ?

If its big enough place two litter trays in the area they poop and wee the most
For now just use a thick layer of newspaper as bedding
In the litter tray put a thick layer of newspaper at the bottom and on top of that place some hay
Rabbits like to poop and wee whilst the eat
So while they eat hay which is only available in the tray they'll poop and wee there :)

But yes .. Young bunnies are harder to litter train, as they grow up they will get hormonal and will start spraying to mark territory :(
*nightmare :lol:
So itd recommended that both get neutered as thid has many more health advantages

After they're neutered you could think about using a hay rack which hangs over the tray so hay won't get wasted as much as some rabbits prefer not to eat hay which they've pooped and weed on

But for now keep hay in the litter trays
As they start getting better remove the tray which gets used less :wave:

Don't use straw yet use it when they are litter trained :)

So the blanket set up is fine??

They not gonna get cold? It would fit 2 trays in but the one I've got now is massive lol so I'd have to get 2 smaller ones,

I plan to get them both neutuered in due course & also already have a hay basket hung over their litter tray

Thanks

So the blanket set up is fine??

They not gonna get cold? It would fit 2 trays in but the one I've got now is massive lol so I'd have to get 2 smaller ones,

I plan to get them both neutuered in due course & also already have a hay basket hung over their litter tray

Thanks

Yea
I would take the blanket out as it will only get dirty
If you have a massive tray then that's fine
Just place straw and newspaper for the bedding
Neutering = happy you and happy buns so great :thumb:

Sorry got bit carried away

But you could clean the whole hutch's base with a 50/50 vinegar solution which would neutralise the smells
This would eliminate the smell of wee and they won't go for a pee there again
Then the only place available to wee and poop would be the tray
And if they poop somewhere else pick up the poops and throw them into the tray
:)

well i cleaned the entire hutch today and just been out only poop on the blanket no wee and when I cleaned tray today I noticed it was all very wet in the one corner again so thats a plus right :D x

Back