• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny says no to banana and apple. Disapproves of fruit covered pellets.

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
He took one lick of the baytril-spiked banana, turned his back on me and flicked his feet. He won't even take it when I mix pellets. Can bunnies have melon? We have lots of melon.

He also hates apple apparently.

I know he loves blueberries but I've been to every shop and none of them have any blueberries. And now a dose of baytril is gonna go to waste :(

Can you smush some banana on the tip of the syringe?

You could also wrap him up in a towel and make him drink that way

I used to put some apple or carrot juice in a shot glass, put the baytril in and mix, then suck it up the syringe again, and my bun sucked on the end of the syringe to get it. Simples :)

eta- and yes they can have melon, I asked about it yesterday, but I doubt the taste will be strong enough to cover up the baytril - its horrid stuff

if he likes blueberries maybe do the syringe idea with blueberry juice? Just make sure its not a 'blueberry juice drink' as they nearly always have added sugar and additives.

Last edited:
Baytril with a little bit of ribena cordial also works as it sweetens the taste slightly, but you still have to syringe it this way.

I used to put some apple or carrot juice in a shot glass, put the baytril in and mix, then suck it up the syringe again, and my bun sucked on the end of the syringe to get it. Simples :)

and yes they can have melon, I asked about it yesterday, but I doubt the taste will be strong enough to cover up the baytril - its horrid stuff

Sounds like a plan. I don't think he likes carrot either though haha. I'll have to find something he likes. I wish I could find some blueberries anywhere. He loves blueberries.

Baytril with a little bit of ribena cordial also works as it sweetens the taste slightly, but you still have to syringe it this way.

Would morrison's no added sugar summer fruits do? It's strawberry, apple, and raspberry?

Last edited:
I always put Baytril in bread. Bunnies aren't allowed bread so of course they love it. Works every time. :)

Would morrison's summer fruits do? It's strawberry, apple, and raspberry?

check the ingreedients, I wouldnt feed anything that had any additives, sweeteners or added acid.

You're better off finding pure juice,health food shops often have things like pure berry juices.

Oooh do you have a Waitrose near you? They often have a good range of the summer fruits and berries fresh, so may have blueberries.

I always put Baytril in bread. Bunnies aren't allowed bread so of course they love it. Works every time. :)

This used to work with Nutmeg but not any more. I've done the apple juice thing before too which works with Mischa (but not Nutmeg cos she has a dislike of syringes)

I can sympathise as Spenser hates being syringe fed anything. I managed to get metacam into him via fenugreek crunchies, and baytril by drizzling it over curly kale. Has to be said he then went off fenugreek crunchies for months. :roll: He eventually got suspicious about the kale trick, but by then he was at the end of his prescription.

Good luck, I know only too well it's not easy. :wave:

If he likes blueberries...then try strawberries maybe?

Hope you find the perfect secret meds nom noms!;)

Back