• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd concern- Attn Tamsin and Jane

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Ok so we are in Dorset for a little get away and I am panicing even more because obviously it is very country around here and we have been walking around.
Please can you explain to me please exactly how vhd is transmitted? For instance, does a bunny have to come in to direct contact with an infected rabbit? Can it be carried on shoes? Would the bunny have to lick the shoes to become infected or is it something that can be transmitted by for example- walking on grass where any possible infected rabbits could have been, going in the car, then walking in to the house, then later on walking on the patch of carpet that you had your shoes on then walking in to the bunnies room?

Rachy.

You know how its transmitted, we had this conversation only the other day. I'm sorry about the Obsession controlling you right now.

Transmission of VHD occurs by direct contact with an infected animal. Rabbits acquire VHD through oral, nasal or conjunctival pathways. Urine, faeces and respiratory secretions may also shed the virus.

I live as much in the country in Somerset as Dorset is countryside, if not more so. There are no concerns here for me re that apart from the fact that Ginger is not to be vaccinated at all soon, but as your buns are, there are no problems.

Yep, your rabbits could lick an infected rabbit and be fine because they are vaccinated!!!

Racheal nothing in life is 100 percent, but your vet said they had never heard of a single case of a vacccinated bunny getting VHD.

You need to fight this in your head and know that your bunnies are safe and that they are never going to get VHD. Never.

Remember your mind is confusing you with your OCD. Your buns cant get VHD. Try and relax on the weekend. I know it is easier said than done.

Keep telling yourself the buns cant get VHD. Jane and Tasmin have told me the bunnies cannot get VHD and they are experts on this.

We regularly holiday in Dorset and walk across the fields and clifftops that are FULL of wild buns, they are everywhere down on the Purbeck Coast and I have trudged my flipflops/walking boots right through their communal latrines and then gone straight back to the holiday flat where my bunnies were holidaying with us wearing those shoes..... and the buns were fine!!! I would not have done it if it were putting them at risk.... but they were vaccinated and so both TOTALLY fine and very safe indeed :D:wave:

We regularly holiday in Dorset and walk across the fields and clifftops that are FULL of wild buns, they are everywhere down on the Purbeck Coast and I have trudged my flipflops/walking boots right through their communal latrines and then gone straight back to the holiday flat where my bunnies were holidaying with us wearing those shoes..... and the buns were fine!!! I would not have done it if it were putting them at risk.... but they were vaccinated and so both TOTALLY fine and very safe indeed :D:wave:

:love: I'ld love to take my buns holidaying with me!!!!! I miss them so much when I go away (which isn't very often as they keep spending the holiday fund at the vets!!!!)

Last night when I went in to see Jimby and Cookie I saw a bug thing on the floor, one of the ones thats not a woodlouse but the black kind with pinsers on the front, I squished it and it left some blood on the floor- is there any risk with vhd from this?

No love, there is no risk. Just wipe up the yuck, you could even use a little bit of their cage cleaner to make sure it's clean where you squished the bug if you want. You know there's no risk though! Tell your brain to stop bothering you!

I sprayed some of the keep it clean cage cleaner on the two patches of blood, but I am worried because I may have walked in it and spread the blood before I sprayed it? Also the bug blood was close to some dried herbs and Cookie has been eating them, are you there is still no risk?

I sprayed some of the keep it clean cage cleaner on the two patches of blood, but I am worried because I may have walked in it and spread the blood before I sprayed it? Also the bug blood was close to some dried herbs and Cookie has been eating them, are you there is still no risk?

NO RISK :)

Tell yourself you love the part of yourself that is letting you know about these problems ( it's called your shadow side).

Let that part of you know that it can rest now because you ( your light and more concious side), are going to protect it.

This may help or may not. Never fight the part of you that is telling you there is something wrong. Just try and fix things as logically as you can. In this case, you have given vhd jabs, which is the very most you can do to help and protect your bunnies.

What else could you possibly do to make sure they are safe? I'm sure that they are in the best well looked after conditions imaginable.

I hope your mind will ease with it's worrying, but in the meantime, loads of hugs *hugs*

xxx

Does it matter that my towel touched a book that I had in the car footwell during our stay in Dorset, obviously where shoes were, then I used my towel to dry my hair, can I go near the buns safely?

Does it matter that my towel touched a book that I had in the car footwell during our stay in Dorset, obviously where shoes were, then I used my towel to dry my hair, can I go near the buns safely?

Racheal, you can have blood from a bug, footwear that has touched an infected bunny in a field, dry your hair, even have an infected bunny with VHD in your house and still your bunnies could not catch it.

Please don't stress. Remember it is your mind tricking you into believing this.

Your bunnies are fine. :wave:

Back