• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP Dreamers not well :( UD hes gone.

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
:( Just been to the emergency vet with Dreamer, he wasn't interested in his breakfast and was very lathargic which isn't like him, I picked him up and he's got a white discharge from his nose :( Teddy and him carry pasteurella, the vet has given him an injection (sorry my minds gone blank i was in such a panic and had to take Archie with me) and I have a weeks worth of Baytril. He's never been ill with it before, he's had a runny nose a few times but always been bright and well when I've taken him to the vets.

I've syringe fed him about 20mls of water and tried abit of banana which he's not interested in, he won't eat anything i put in front of him :( am so worried, anyone got any advice?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. Have you got any apples or pears you could grate for him? I know when my buns are like this that is something that will tempt them.

Sending vibes for Dreamer xx

Did he have any pain relief at the vets Lara? metacam etc. Did he have metaclopramide (gut stimulant) ?

Does he really enjoy herbs normally? If so, its time for a bunny buffet. Place everything and everything under his nose - annoy him with it if necessary.

Has the vet ruled out a blockage actually too?

Sorry to hear this. Have you got any apples or pears you could grate for him? I know when my buns are like this that is something that will tempt them.

Sending vibes for Dreamer xx

No only had banana, Jon's just come back down from work so will get him to go get some x

oh no not Dreamer:cry:
Best thing to offer is fresh grass, clover, dandelions as bunnies rarely refuse these
make sure his temp stays stable..and I'm not a vet..but I always ask for Depocillin injections for infections like this as haven't seen much success with Baytril:?
Give him gentle noserubs from me and will keep fingers crossed

Firstly try not to panic.

You need to calm down, phone the vet and ask what the injection was.

I'd of wanted a gut stimulant as well as pain relief.

Have you got some critical care or recovery food?

Pure fruit baby food is something else you could try, see if he will lick it. It has to be 100% pure fruit though, nothing else added.

When Molly wouldn't eat, the only thing that got her started again was me hand feeding her parsley. Have you got critical care or something like that to syringe feed him?

I've just finished work now and, apart from being on-call tomorrow night, am not working til Mon morning so if you need any support or help (not sure if J is with you or working at the moment) just yell and I'll come over.

Lots and lots of vibes for Dreamer xxxx

I agree with Gray. If he's not interested in food he needs pain relief. Can Jon pop him back to the vet or do you have any metacam at home? He might need some fluids too. Vibes for him x

Did he have any pain relief at the vets Lara? metacam etc. Did he have metaclopramide (gut stimulant) ?

Does he really enjoy herbs normally? If so, its time for a bunny buffet. Place everything and everything under his nose - annoy him with it if necessary.

Has the vet ruled out a blockage actually too?

No but I have some metacam i can give him, I think the injection was a antibiotic... I'm not sure I was so flustered :oops::( I was thinking about a blockage too think i'll have to bring him in and keep an eye on him, I've popped him under the apple tree on the grass to try and tempt him to eat. He's moved a little bit and just stretched out.

..and I'm not a vet..but I always ask for Depocillin injections for infections like this as haven't seen much success with Baytril

Even if the bun was already showing signs of stasis?

(I'm not critising by the way just curious as I'd be parinoid that GI complications from the penicillin may aggrivate things further)

Ring the vets anc check what they gave him before you give him anything else..the jab may have been pain relief:?

Even if the bun was already showing signs of stasis?

(I'm not critising by the way just curious as I'd be parinoid that GI complications from the penicillin may aggrivate things further)

For snotty infections yes..if stasis no..Dreamer has nasal discharge and if an infection that could be why he's off his food..again I'm not a vet..just giving my opinion on what I'd want for snuffle-type infections.
You can pump as much food as you like into a bun but if the root of the problem isn,t dealt with they won't get better
Again Lara you need to check what your vet has given him and what their opinion on the problem was x

For snotty infections yes..if stasis no..Dreamer has nasal discharge and if an infection that could be why he's off his food..again I'm not a vet..just giving my opinion on what I'd want for snuffle-type infections.

Thank you. Is it common for buns to go off their food so suddenly then when they have infections? Sorry for question just I only have experience of Bluebell and whilst he eats very slowly on his off days I've never had him refuse food completely. Hence why I just assumed Dreamers non eating to be unrelated to the infection.

Poor Dreamer :cry:

I think the Vet was correct to start with Baytril, especially if Dreamer is also exhibiting GI tract problems.

It will be good to establish if he has had a shot of Metacam and if not I'd ask the Vet if you can administer some.

Did the Vet listen to Dreamer's lungs ?

Did she mention if she felt the URT symptoms are secondary to a gut problem or visa versa ?

Loads of vibes being sent for him xx

Ok rang the vets, they said it was an antibiotic injection, I'm really not happy so going to take him back down. He's not interested in anything and is huddled up, I have an appointment at 4.20pm so got to go in a minute :( i feel a rubbish bunny mum :cry:

Truffles recently had pain relief/gut stimulant/baytril injection for a discharging nose. Not sure re choice of antibiotic but he definitely needs the other two as well as the antibiotic. Did he check to see if he needed sub-cut fluids? They made a big difference to Mulberry. And did he take his temp? May be worth going back today if you're not happy he had everything covered. They should sell critical care sachets too, and it would be worth getting probiotic pellets if he's on antibiotics - I had some from Sky-O :love: but you can order from Vets UK and they're called pro-fibre/protexin. Sending masses of vibes...

ETA Write everything down so you have a list you can check off. A rubbish bunny mum a) wouldn't have noticed b) wouldn't have taken him to the vet so promptly c) wouldn' t be trying to research further what was wrong and d) wouldn't be taking him back to the vets on the same day, so I think we've ruled that out as an option... :thumb:

Last edited:
Poor Dreamer :cry:

I think the Vet was correct to start with Baytril, especially if Dreamer is also exhibiting GI tract problems.

It will be good to establish if he has had a shot of Metacam and if not I'd ask the Vet if you can administer some.

Did the Vet listen to Dreamer's lungs ?

Did she mention if she felt the URT symptoms are secondary to a gut problem or visa versa ?

Loads of vibes being sent for him xx

Yes he said Dreamer sounded wheezy, no he didnt mention that? I've asked for a painkilling injection and have some metacam here.

Truffles recently had pain relief/gut stimulant/baytril injection for a discharging nose. Not sure re choice of antibiotic but he definitely needs the other two as well as the antibiotic. Did he check to see if he needed sub-cut fluids? They made a big difference to Mulberry. And did he take his temp? May be worth going back today if you're not happy he had everything covered. They should sell critical care sachets too, and it would be worth getting probiotic pellets if he's on antibiotics - I had some from Sky-O :love: but you can order from Vets UK and they're called pro-fibre/protexin. Sending masses of vibes...

I have probiotic and his temp was higher end of normal. No he didnt mention fluids but he licked the syringe of water i gave him and took it. I'll get some critical care in case x

Back