• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anabolic steroid injection for wibbly-wobbly bunny ... Anyone had experience of?

MrsGibbo

New Kit
Hi all

My first "I'm in need of help" post on RU, so I hope it's in the right place. :)

MrsR has gone a bit wibbly-wobbly on one of her back legs. She doesn't fall over but there is an obvious wobble.

I've just called my lovely vet and she has suggested (and I agree) that this is probably due to MrsR's weight loss and therefore muscle loss. I'm therefore taking MrsR in for an anabolic steroid injection tonight, but ... I'm off on my jolidays in the morning and the 'buns are going to the bunny hotel.

I'm so worried about MrsR. My vet has reassured me there are no side effects so I need not worry, but I can't help but worry. MrsR is filling her face with food like there's no tomorrow but isn't putting on any weight. I really do hope this injection may help rectify that.

The bunnies will be in very good hands whilst I'm away, but please God why now?! *shakes fist in direction of "him upstairs"*

Has anyone had experience of steroid injections for 'buns? All positive replies welcome :lol:

Thank you in anticipation.
MrsGibbo

(P.S. If it's of any help ... MrsR is 10yrs old, dental 'bun, ongoing pasturella.)

Bumping this up. :)

I've only used anabolic steroids for a guinea pig.

Has E Cuniculi been considered at all?

Hi Sarah

Thank you for your reply.

The vet seemed quite hopeful that the steroid should help put a little weight back onto her. She was weighed and had put on about 100grams, not much I know, since her last dental just a few weeks ago. At least it was a gain rather than a loss.

Vet did briefly mention EC, but strangely said that if it was EC causing the slight wobble (and it really is hardly noticeable) that there wasn't much that she could do. :shock: Reading on here though, Panacur is talked about alot when discussing EC. I really know nothing about EC I'm sorry to say and have never given my two anything to prevent it. :( I only know what I do now since being on here.

The bunny boarding place is very bunny savvy so I'll explain all to the lady tomorrow and hopefully she'll keep a very close eye on MrsR. She only has my two to look after so shouldn't be difficult.

I'm away for 10 days and feel sick to the stomach that something will happen to her whilst I'm away. I love her so much to even contemplate her not being here when I get home. :cry:

How worrying for you. :( It's curious that your vet would suggest that there is no treatment for EC. It can cause permanent damage (so maybe that is what was meant :?) but, as you say, Panacur is a treatment for it. The other treatment (which is the same, just a different taste etc) is Lapizole. Other treatment might involve anti-inflammatories.

Is it worth getting another opinion from a different vet once you are back from holidays?

I had to leave a very poorly guinea pig last year while I went on holiday, so I know how you feel. Hope you manage to have a good time.

Back