• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying advice needed ASAP/ UD when to panic?

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
Hi,

I took Edward in to be neutered this morning (I adopted him from PAH adoption section on Monday), anyway the vet has phoned and it turns out that Edward might be Edwina (female) or hermaphrodite as her/his genitals are odd. :shock:

They are going ahead with a spay or to see if he has internal testicles.

I've only read up about male neutering, so now I'm panicking because spays are much more invasive. The vet is going to talk me through everything when I go back this afternoon in terms of care - but if someone could let me know what I need to do for her and if I need to ask anything of the vet - for example I've heard reference to painkillers, do I need to ask for painkillers for her when she is at home or are the ones given to her at the vets enough?

I do trust the vets as they have a good track record with rabbit neuters, but at the same time I like to be completely informed independently. I'm also panicking so worried I'll not take in something important they tell me to do. If I need to buy her something - I want to do it before she comes home so I don't need to leave her, which means I need to go now.

My stress levels are insane - I'm so worried about him/her.

Thank you!w

Last edited:
She will need painkillers to come home with :) The stuff they give at the vets wears off I believe.

My girls have only had a long lasting painkiller from the vet and nothing else. Although I am sure they would send you home with some Metacam if you asked for it for the day after.

When she gets home she need to be indoors in a cage for cage rest peace and quiet. On towels for her wound and hay in a hay rack only. Lots of foods to temp her, dandelions usually do the trick.

The day after the op check the wound, hopefully she will have left it alone. There should be no fresh blood, discharge and it shouldn't look inflamed or feel hot.

I hope she is OK most does are fine. Sending lots of vibes.

I was just wondering what I should use as litter? i've removed everything from the indoor cage we bought for him to recover from the op. Put some newspaper down, will put some towels on top - but am I right in thinking its not a good idea to put some Megazorb in his litter corner? Or should this be ok?

My girls have only had a long lasting painkiller from the vet and nothing else.

So did most of mine. The last two however were sent home with additional meds as thats standard for my current vets.

I'd probably ask for them in this case though as presumably if they are unsure of sex and routing around abit it may be slightly more invassive so I'd probably just ask for extra pain relief as a precaution.

Its a long story but Edwards still Edward (not Edwina).

I'm monitoring him closely but I don't know when I need to start really worrying.

He has had a small wee and eaten a tiny amount of veg. He seems zonked out and really sleepy - he perks up for a couple of minutes but then zonks out again. Obviously he has had GA and really invasive surgery so its expected for him to be off - at what point do I phone the vets? They said to phone if I was worried.

I nearly phoned them 5 minutes after I got home with him. Should I give him until tomorrow morning to feel better?

Yeah, some rabbits are really out of it until the following day. :)
Just leave some food out and count the pellets or dandelion leaves or whatever so you will know if he's eaten anything. If his appetite hasn't picked up by tomorrow then take him back to the vets for something to get his gut moving. For now just offer him his favourite food. All he will want to do right now is sleep.

Thank you so much!

I think this was what the vet probably told me - but I'm so worried about him. The vet said if he wasn't eating he would give him a gut sitmulant, but I started worrying it should be tonight and not tomorrow.

Thank you - I might sleep a little bit tonight now.

Back