• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A stupid litter tray qu.

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Those of you who change your litter trays every day... do you clean them every day? if not, how often do you clean them?

I'm possibly thinking of trying downgrading the size of my bunnies' litter trays and changing them every day instead of having bigger ones that I change a few times a week.

Last edited:
i clean them thoroughly each time i change them (under bed storage trays) with a safe disinfectant.

I tried downsizing - it caused digging :roll:

I change mine every day and clean them every day.... I only do a quick wipe out with some Formula H and then do a more thorough soak and rinse with bleach once every week or two. :)

I don't clean mine every day, just change the paper and hay/straw. In Spenser's case, it's not a litter tray but a washing-up bowl that is in question - not sure that this would make any difference though. I read somewhere (probably on here) that excessive use of disinfectctants could do more harm than good. When I do clean I use a blue-coloured pet spray that comes from Morrisons.

Only do full clean out every other day or every 3 days. I change the bedding hay every day.
I can't afford to do full clean outs with 2 massive litter trays & 1 indoor cage every day - I'd go through a silly amount of carefresh, hay and newspaper otherwise.

i clean them thoroughly each time i change them (under bed storage trays) with a safe disinfectant.

I tried downsizing - it caused digging :roll:

Everything causes digging with Biccy :p

Currently I don't use any disinfectant. I wash them all with boiling water after they've been emptied on the compost and use vinegar when it starts to build up. So they are always washed before being refilled.

I was thinking maybe of trying two washing up bowls in the lionheads room and one small underbed storage box in the lops. The lionheads like to toilet separately while the lops like to be together. Then I could empty the bowls into the lops box when I change them. Start a new box for the lops and swish the bowls with cold water, refill and maybe wash with boiling when I do the other boxes. I'd need four bowls but they're pretty cheap aren't they.

I'm just thinking out loud really :oops:

Only do full clean out every other day or every 3 days. I change the bedding hay every day.
I can't afford to do full clean outs with 2 massive litter trays & 1 indoor cage every day - I'd go through a silly amount of carefresh, hay and newspaper otherwise.

That's part of the reason I don't do them every day too. The other reason is because I physically can't carry three big boxes up and down the stairs every single day. But maybe if I downsize the boxes I can.

The bunnies don't care, they are all asleep :roll::lol:

I have two lots of litter trays - I replace the used ones in the morning with two fresh ones and then I clean out the old ones sometime during the course of the day so that they're ready to refill for the following morning.

I tried using a bigger box and just replacing the hay every day but I hated picking up the wet hay. :mrgreen: I use far less megazorb and newspaper now that I clean daily too, so the overall usage hasn't really changed. :)

Off topic, but I think it's rather romantic of the lops to go about their 'business' together. :love: I don't know what I'd do if Spenser acquired a friend. He is VERY fond of his basin, and there is certainly no room for anybun else in their with him!

I have two lots of litter trays - I replace the used ones in the morning with two fresh ones and then I clean out the old ones sometime during the course of the day so that they're ready to refill for the following morning.

I tried using a bigger box and just replacing the hay every day but I hated picking up the wet hay. :mrgreen: I use far less megazorb and newspaper now that I clean daily too, so the overall usage hasn't really changed. :)

That's interesting. I do feel like I waste quite a bit of hay and the length of time a bale lasts is getting smaller and smaller :shock: Not that I begrudge buying hay, not at all, but if it's just getting wasted instead of being eaten then, well, it's a waste :oops::lol:

Off topic, but I think it's rather romantic of the lops to go about their 'business' together. :love: I don't know what I'd do if Spenser acquired a friend. He is VERY fond of his basin, and there is certainly no room for anybun else in their with him!

It is isn't it :love: Those two do everything together :lol:

That's part of the reason I don't do them every day too. The other reason is because I physically can't carry three big boxes up and down the stairs every single day. But maybe if I downsize the boxes I can.

The bunnies don't care, they are all asleep :roll::lol:

Oh I can relate to the carrying issue. We live in a first floor flat and out bins are through a locked gate out back - it's such an effort to so all 3, it takes a lot of time too.
I keep and eye on any flies and such and if it got really how would clean out everyday but for now I find they are just fine with cutting it back to every few days.
More smaller ones would be easier, for all respects I think.

Not that I begrudge buying hay, not at all, but if it's just getting wasted instead of being eaten then, well, it's a waste :oops::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I've cut down on the amount of hay I give - I used to fill the litter tray to the brim in the morning and add more throughout the day.

Now I just give them a small amount in the morning, but still top it up 3 or 4 times during the coruse of the day. They always seem more interested in the litter tray when it's been topped up too.

They still seem to eat just as much and their poo output is still the same, but I'm not wasting as much of it.

Mine have a cat litter tray per couple. I do a litter change and thorough clean every other day. It worksfor me, they never smell and theres never wee build up :wave:

Oh and I only put hay at one end of the tray. That way they tend to wee on the litter whilst eating their hay, so not wasting hay :wave:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I didn't notice then .... either that or my brain just auto-corrected. :lol:

Cutting down on the amount of hay I put in the litter tray is something that would probably work for me. I find it funny that such a fussy bunny as Spenser seems to particularly enjoy nomming hay enhanced with the flavour of wee. He sort of licks his lips. :mrgreen:

Back