• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay feeding; what do you use and what brands

emjrabbitwolf

Warren Scout
Not sure if this should go in here or the care section;
What's the best thing to feed hay from? Benjamin wont take it out of the hay rack I have a present that looks abit like this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RABBIT-GUINEA...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item27ba65340a

so looking for an alternative. What do others use?

Also what brands/type of hay are best value for momney/delivery/customer service/etc so I can try getting Ben on to something that's a but more cost effective that 2 bags a week from P@H or the fancy stuff!

many thanks!

I get Hay for Pets hay. The biggest bag they sell works out to be half the price per kilo of the pets at home hay.
Delivery is included in the price and is pretty swift, the customer service is excellent :D

If I give Buckley a hay rack he just sits in it and poops in it as he eats so we just put it in the litter trays :)

SAM_0608.jpg

See the pink thing? Thats an ikea plastic bag holder, you can get them in ikea (obviously) or I got mine on ebay. Barney used to get really annoyed at the ones you have, and this one he hated, although he liked chewing it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00422KYCG/ref=oss_product
although my little lionhead doesnt mind it. I think he had issues because he was bigger and couldnt get his nose through the holes. He doesnt have issues with the pink thing, he can shove his nose right in, but theyre still not big enough to let the hay just fall out. Its brilliant! Couldnt reccommend it more!

And as for hay, changing to hayforpets was the best thing I ever did for him! He's a fusspot with hay but he eats about twice the amount of their Timothy and Rye than he did before on a mix of every treat hay available. Plus if you get the biggest bags (9.5kg I think) it works out about £1.60 a kg which is a brilliant price!

eta- as a treat hay I get Burns Green Oat ( https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...ay+Type.130/Oat+Hay.18/Green+Oat+Hay.235.html ) which is a good price (under £4 a kg) for treat hay

Last edited:
I use a bale from local horse feed shop. I use similar rack but am eying up those letter box cages you get for your mail to stop dogs shredding your letters...nice and big, haven't seen any thing better actually made as hay racks so will probably buy a letter box cage!

I use that hay rack :wave:

For my hay, I use Chemist Direct, they have Burns hay and its cheaper compared to other places. Living in the Highlands I am limited to a few places for hay, so I use Pets at Home, Pet Planet, Vet UK and Chemist Direct. The only places that don't charge rediculus high delivery prices!

I just put it in their litter trays, they like to dig around and forage in it I find. And just plain baled hay :)

Oxbow Timothy hay. I can buy it in 50lb boxes which is perfect when you have 7 hungry herbivores to feed! :lol:

AMETHYST

I use a veg rack from homebase which they seem to get on very well with.
shed2.jpg

Hay-wise, I get timothy & rye from hay for pets which is about as good value as you'll get unless you can buy and store farm bales.:)

I don't know if you can get this outside of Norfolk but Samus and the chinchillas go mad for it.

IMG_0187.jpg

Back