PDA

View Full Version : ...

whitehood
23-06-2011, 09:31 PM
The discharge was light yellow and has been cleaned with lukewarm water
I've also kept the wet tissue in a sandwhich bag should I take it with me?

Tomorrow I shall phone my vets - The Pet Vaccination Centre and book an appointment

I suspect its either gunk or snuffles
But I hope it will get treated and healed earlier rather than later :(

I suspect my vet will give me meds.. What else would she need to give me?
And what medicine?
The averedge price for the meds?
And the averedge price for everything inc. Meds?
And .. Will she charge more for checking the tissue?

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
23-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Good luck. Make sure the vet checks his teeth. When Mischief got a runny nose it was due to a spur on his back teeth. :( We had to get it sorted asap as if we left it it would form an abscess and they are difficult to treat and many bunnies are pts because of them.

Hope it's nothing serious.

whitehood
23-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Good luck. Make sure the vet checks his teeth. When Mischief got a runny nose it was due to a spur on his back teeth. :( We had to get it sorted asap as if we left it it would form an abscess and they are difficult to treat and many bunnies are pts because of them.

Hope it's nothing serious.

Thank you !
I will tell the vet to check the teeth aswell .

Can someone answer my questions please if they know the answer :wave:

OriginalFlintstone
23-06-2011, 09:50 PM
My bunny had a thorough check tonight, and some Baytril. Came to 35 for today. Your possibly looking at something similar.

23-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Thank you !
I will tell the vet to check the teeth aswell .

Can someone answer my questions please if they know the answer :wave:

the medicine I got, baytriyl, was 25 :wave:

whitehood
23-06-2011, 09:55 PM
My bunny had a thorough check tonight, and some Baytril. Came to 35 for today. Your possibly looking at something similar.

Thank you :)

the medicine I got, baytriyl, was 25 :wave:

Did the 25 also include the check up etc. ?

Also does anyone know if it will cost more money if the vet checks the tissue with Lucky's discharge on it ?
:wave:

23-06-2011, 09:56 PM

Also does anyone know if it will cost more money if the vet checks the tissue with Lucky's discharge on it ?

Yeah :wave:

whitehood
23-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Yeah :wave:

Ok Thank you 20-35 is probably the average :wave:

OriginalFlintstone
23-06-2011, 10:01 PM

I would have thought that would be included in the examination.

whitehood
23-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I would have thought that would be included in the examination.

This is what I thought too, I was wondering if it would cost more because maybe vets would send it to a science vet person who runs tests on the discharge and examines what the cause of the discharge is :wave:

OriginalFlintstone
23-06-2011, 10:12 PM
This is what I thought too, I was wondering if it would cost more because maybe vets would send it to a science vet person who runs tests on the discharge and examines what the cause of the discharge is :wave:

Yeah that would cost more if they had to do that, but i don't think they'd get enough of a sample from the tissue. If they had to sample the discharge they would take it straight from Luckys nose onto a sterile swab.

Good luck at the vets by the way, hope it's nothing serious!

whitehood
23-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Thank you OriginalFlintstone :wave:
I hope its nothing serious too

Liz47
23-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I belive Lucky has had a runny nose before, no idea about allergys in rabbits but do you think it could be anything to do with him being sensitive to the hay you use or anything? I hope it's nothing serious anyway and good luck :wave: x

whitehood
23-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I belive Lucky has had a runny nose before, no idea about allergys in rabbits but do you think it could be anything to do with him being sensitive to the hay you use or anything? I hope it's nothing serious anyway and good luck :wave: x

Yup your right
He has but I always thought it was gunk ..
How do I found out if he is allergic to the hay I use ??
I put my nose to it and don't sneeze ?

Thanks

Liz47
23-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Yup your right
He has but I always thought it was gunk ..
How do I found out if he is allergic to the hay I use ??
I put my nose to it and don't sneeze ?

Thanks

I have no idea sorry, I am probably wrong about that, I don't really know sorry :wave:

whitehood
23-06-2011, 10:27 PM
I have no idea sorry, I am probably wrong about that, I don't really know sorry :wave:

Its ayte
You could be right so will bear that in mind :]

whitehood
27-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Took Lucky to the vets today
I thought the discharge stopped but when my vet checked Lucky's nose there was still some there :(
So I asked her to check the teeth and she did by using a device which holds Luckys mouth open by holding the teeth .

She gave baytril which has to be given twice a day

I think she tranced Lucky though.. By holding him like a baby in her arms.
Also..
It cost 60 !
When Lucky and Jack had a fight for the first time ages ago I took them to another vet practise where they checked them and gave medicine all for 50 :/

ETA: Do you think the price is worth it?

whitehood
27-06-2011, 08:23 PM
:shock::wave:

Pebblesetc
27-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Took Lucky to the vets today
I thought the discharge stopped but when my vet checked Lucky's nose there was still some there :(
So I asked her to check the teeth and she did by using a device which holds Luckys mouth open by holding the teeth .

She gave baytril which has to be given twice a day

I think she tranced Lucky though.. By holding him like a baby in her arms.
Also..
It cost 60 !
When Lucky and Jack had a fight for the first time ages ago I took them to another vet practise where they checked them and gave medicine all for 50 :/

ETA: Do you think the price is worth it?

You can hold a bunny like a baby without trancing it :wave:
It depends how their head is positioned as to whether or not they'll be tranced.
It depends on whether the vet is rabbit savvy or not. A good bunny vet is worth all the tea in china :)

whitehood
27-06-2011, 09:03 PM
You can hold a bunny like a baby without trancing it :wave:
It depends how their head is positioned as to whether or not they'll be tranced.
It depends on whether the vet is rabbit savvy or not. A good bunny vet is worth all the tea in china :)

Lucky looked really stressed I wanted to yell "stop!"
I think my vet does know about rabbits but not in depth ..
I was advised to panacur my buns 4 times a year.. If I didn't seek advice from RU I would have panacured them .. Without knowing it doesn't prevent it treats..
I am going to register with another vet clinic who are rabbit savvy and they're 7 mins away from me so are the current vets but I want to only use them for vaccinations.

Liz47
27-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Lucky looked really stressed I wanted to yell "stop!"
I think my vet does know about rabbits but not in depth ..
I was advised to panacur my buns 4 times a year.. If I didn't seek advice from RU I would have panacured them .. Without knowing it doesn't prevent it treats..
I am going to register with another vet clinic who are rabbit savvy and they're 7 mins away from me so are the current vets but I want to only use them for vaccinations.

Poor boy :( Hope he's soon on the mend :) And that sounds like a good plan :) :thumb:

whitehood
27-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks
I am going to feed the med at night and I hope it clears up :)

Liz47
27-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Are they meds that you syringe feed? Not sure if this applies to all rabbits but I've had trouble syringing Gordon meds, finding his mouth amongst his beard was hard enough but then I had to get it in the side of his mouth, there wasn't any room at the front but there's a gap just at the side of their mouths it might be easiest to get the syringe in there?? :)

Pebblesetc
27-06-2011, 09:24 PM
It's baytril isn't it? Hide it in something tasty. That stuff tastes worse than nail polish removed :evil:

whitehood
27-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Are they meds that you syringe feed? Not sure if this applies to all rabbits but I've had trouble syringing Gordon meds, finding his mouth amongst his beard was hard enough but then I had to get it in the side of his mouth, there wasn't any room at the front but there's a gap just at the side of their mouths it might be easiest to get the syringe in there?? :)

Yea its baytril which I have to syringe feed
I want to attact abit of mango on the front while the meds in the syringe, when lucky opens his mouth for it I'll feed the med
I haven't seen any holes in the sides of his mouth but will look thanks :)

whitehood
27-06-2011, 11:27 PM
I gave Lucky the baytril again ..
I stuck some mango on the tip of the syringe to sweeten up the taste :)

whitehood
28-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Gave Lucky baytril again. Need to give it at night now.

helennnnnn
28-06-2011, 01:09 PM
If you're finding syringing difficult you could try mashing up a bit of fruit with the baytril and feed it to him with a spoon. Hopscotch is so used to having a bit of mashed banana laced with antibiotics that I don't even need to spoon-feed him any more, he eats it straight off the plate and licks the plate clean!

whitehood
28-06-2011, 01:10 PM
If you're finding syringing difficult you could try mashing up a bit of fruit with the baytril and feed it to him with a spoon. Hopscotch is so used to having a bit of mashed banana laced with antibiotics that I don't even need to spoon-feed him any more, he eats it straight off the plate and licks the plate clean!

Thanks for the tip
I do something similar with the syringe
I stick a bit of mango at the top and when he opens his mouth I squirt the baytril in

whitehood
28-06-2011, 04:46 PM
How are Respiratory infections caused?

GrahamL
28-06-2011, 04:48 PM
How are Respiratory infections caused?

Bacteria getting into buns system, it could be a primary or secondary reason though, so worth a full check up :) Something could have lowered buns immune system, and so the infection was able to take hold.

whitehood
28-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Bacteria getting into buns system, it could be a primary or secondary reason though, so worth a full check up :) Something could have lowered buns immune system, and so the infection was able to take hold.

Thanks that was fast!
What do you mean by primary or secondaery reasons?
What should be checked in a full check up ?
Do vaccinations lower the immune system?

Sorry Graham for all the questions ..

GrahamL
28-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks that was fast!
What do you mean by primary or secondaery reasons?
What should be checked in a full check up ?
Do vaccinations lower the immune system?

Sorry Graham for all the questions ..

Yes, vaccinations certainly can do, the VHD vaccine seems to lower the immune system most if its a Cylap vaccination. A vaccine introduces bacteria for the body to fight so it knows how to fight it in the future. So if its busy fighting that, it can't necessarily beat off everything else.

Primary / Secondary - i mean - Bun could be under the weather from something else, and so the immune system can't fight off the RTI, so the RTI would be the secondary issue, not the actual issue.

There are so many things you could check for, i dont know them all, im just going on my experience with my RTI bun (who has now had an RTI for at least 6-7 months) but the RTI is strong in her as her immune system is fubar in effect.

Rachel89
28-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Did the vet say what she thought may of caused the discharge? I got abit confused with your posts if they did or didn't :)

whitehood
28-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Yes, vaccinations certainly can do, the VHD vaccine seems to lower the immune system most if its a Cylap vaccination. A vaccine introduces bacteria for the body to fight so it knows how to fight it in the future. So if its busy fighting that, it can't necessarily beat off everything else.

Primary / Secondary - i mean - Bun could be under the weather from something else, and so the immune system can't fight off the RTI, so the RTI would be the secondary issue, not the actual issue.

There are so many things you could check for, i dont know them all, im just going on my experience with my RTI bun (who has now had an RTI for at least 6-7 months) but the RTI is strong in her as her immune system is fubar in effect.

Thanks Graham
Has your previous vet or current vet done a culture and sensitivity test with Ginger's discharge?
I read 2 mins ago it gets sent to science vts people who tell you what bacteria is present and advise the right type of meds .. Because that bacteria might be resistant to some meds ..
Sorry if you've tried this ..

Jenova
28-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Wishing you lots of luck getting on top of this. Get the antibiotics down him with whatever works. It's so important to take every dose for the whole time and get om top of it. If you can get it sorted and get it cleared it might never come back. :)

whitehood
28-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Did the vet say what she thought may of caused the discharge? I got abit confused with your posts if they did or didn't :)

I asked is he could be allergic to hay .. She said its unlikely if it smells right and isn't dusty
I also asked her to look at his teeth in depth to search for spurs and she did with tools and couldn't find any thing wrong
So all she said was it's probably a Respiratory infection.

GrahamL
28-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks Graham
Has your previous vet or current vet done a culture and sensitivity test with Ginger's discharge?
I read 2 mins ago it gets sent to science vts people who tell you what bacteria is present and advise the right type of meds .. Because that bacteria might be resistant to some meds ..
Sorry if you've tried this ..

Yup. She's pasteurella <insert form here> active. It's susceptible to depocillin here, but the depocillin just doesn't hold it off very long and the symptoms NEVER go away.

We're now on human drug Azithromycin (Zithromax) but thats now been put to a halt :roll: as its not licensed or widely used according to my vets and they are concerned it may do more bad than good.

We've used;

Baytril (oral)
Septrin (oral)
Depocillin (Sub Cut Injection)
Azithromycin (oral)

2 days after being off the Abx, Ginger's symptoms are back and as bad as ever.

I don't think personally that we'll ever beat it and be able to have her vaccinated ever again, just in my head, there are still things we can try. She's already not myxi vaccinated.

Hope this helps :)

PS: Ginger is not a 'normal' bunny, she has lots of other things 'inside' wrong with her which does not help.

whitehood
28-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Yup. She's pasteurella <insert form here> active. It's susceptible to depocillin here, but the depocillin just doesn't hold it off very long and the symptoms NEVER go away.

We're now on human drug Azithromycin (Zithromax) but thats now been put to a halt :roll: as its not licensed or widely used according to my vets and they are concerned it may do more bad than good.

We've used;

Baytril (oral)
Septrin (oral)
Depocillin (Sub Cut Injection)
Azithromycin (oral)

2 days after being off the Abx, Ginger's symptoms are back and as bad as ever.

I don't think personally that we'll ever beat it and be able to have her vaccinated ever again, just in my head, there are still things we can try. She's already not myxi vaccinated.

Hope this helps :)

PS: Ginger is not a 'normal' bunny, she has lots of other things 'inside' wrong with her which does not help.

Sorry
I hope one day she recovers
Yea having a mishapen jaw doesn't help .. Bad breeding!

whitehood
28-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Wishing you lots of luck getting on top of this. Get the antibiotics down him with whatever works. It's so important to take every dose for the whole time and get om top of it. If you can get it sorted and get it cleared it might never come back. :)

Thanks Jenova
My vet said give him baytril twice daily until it runs out and if still he doesn't recover I should contact her again.
I hope it goes away ! And never comes back again!

Jenova
28-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks Jenova
My vet said give him baytril twice daily until it runs out and if still he doesn't recover I should contact her again.
I hope it goes away ! And never comes back again!

Unfortunately so many of us have been through this so there are plenty of us about to help.

GrahamL
28-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Sorry
I hope one day she recovers
Yea having a mishapen jaw doesn't help .. Bad breeding!

Hope the baytril helps lucky!

whitehood
28-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Hope the baytril helps lucky!

whitehood
28-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately so many of us have been through this so there are plenty of us about to help.

:(
And thanks :)

whitehood
28-06-2011, 10:43 PM

whitehood
29-06-2011, 06:48 PM