• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Tray

TriL1

Warren Scout
Hi, my rabbit currently poos and wees in the sleeping area, if im going to litter train him, shall I still put the litter tray in sleeping area or move to a different area. He is 14 weeks old, and not neutered yet can this still be done.

Also I do put megazorb and hay in his sleeping area but once he is litter trained can I just put megazorb all over the hutch and straw ontop in the winter to keep him warm? (He will have a friend by winter as well).

thanks.

Hi, my rabbit currently poos and wees in the sleeping area, if im going to litter train him, shall I still put the litter tray in sleeping area or move to a different area. He is 14 weeks old, and not neutered yet can this still be done.

Also I do put megazorb and hay in his sleeping area but once he is litter trained can I just put megazorb all over the hutch and straw ontop in the winter to keep him warm? (He will have a friend by winter as well).

thanks.

Hello and welcome to this forum :wave:

Its great your rabbit has associated an area with poop and wee this will make litter training much easier ! :D
So yes you should put the litter tray exactly where your bun poops and wees, inside the litter tray you should put a thick layer of newspaper in on top of that megazorb/carefresh *optional* if you include the megazorb or carefresh put a thick layer of hay on top of that or if you'r not going to include megazorb or carefresh *like me* put the hay on top of the newspaper :)

For the bedding of your hutch hay or straw is good megazorb wont be needed in my opinion as its job is to soak up wee when your bun becomes litter trained he wont wee in the sitting space of his hutch :) So it would be a waste of megazorb.

Hay would be best though, as its soft and edible :)
Well the most important food in a rabbit's diet, they should have 24/7 access to hay.

Also to help you clean your hutch out quicker and easier you maybe could think about putting lino on the base, loads of members have done it on here as its a amazing idea :lol:

To add to the above, get a high-sided litter tray or one with a rim to stop him peeing over the edge, as they like to back into a corner.

Eventually you want to be cleaning the litter tray out every day, especially in summer, but to start with do not clean it out so often, and only disinfect it maybe once a week, and after you do this put some of the old litter back in the clean tray. This will ensure he can still smell the wee on his tray and then he will remember where to wee :)

If he wees in the wrong place, wipe it up with tissue or kitchen towel and put the dirty tissue into the litter tray, so he can smell it there. Then clean the area with white vinegar, it will disinfect it but will also remove the smell of urine so he doesnt go back.

Dont worry about poo at the moment, its the wee you want to get him doing in the tray, most of the poos will follow eventually (often not till after neutering).

Unneutered bucks are the hardest to litter train, but it can be done! You may find that as he gets more hormonal he may lose his litter training, but the key is perseverence! You need to clean up a puddle in the wrong place asap before he gets into a habit.

If you are having problems, try putting hay ONLY in the litter tray, or with a hay rack above it. Bunnies love to eat whilst they toilet, so that should encourage him.

Check with your vet when they will neuter him. Some would do him now, others would like to wait. He is the right age to be done now, as long as he is the right weight, and I would encourage you to do it fairly soon, before he starts getting too hormonal, the reason being that the longer he has the hormonal behaviours the more likely it will transfer to a 'learnt' behaviour and it may not go away when he is neutered. If you get him neutered at or before 6 months it should be fine though. Remember you have to wait around 2 months after he is neutered before you can bond him, so factor this into your plans :)

Stick around, maybe read a few articles in the Care Reference section, you'll find out a lot you didnt know about bunnies. And if you have any other questions feel free to ask, even if they sound silly!

Excellent

Hi there, thats excellent information, thank you very much, its nice to be able to get the right information what I need to know rather than searching for loads of information on the internet that can sometimes confuse me more! I have now been in touch with a local vet who is going to neuter Floppy on the 8th July and am currently in touch with a rabbit rescue to help with the bonding process of finding him a friend. I think he be much happier when he has a friend. Me and my kids do give him attention but obviously there are times we are not there so at least he will have a play mate. thanks for the great advice

Hi there, thats excellent information, thank you very much, its nice to be able to get the right information what I need to know rather than searching for loads of information on the internet that can sometimes confuse me more! I have now been in touch with a local vet who is going to neuter Floppy on the 8th July and am currently in touch with a rabbit rescue to help with the bonding process of finding him a friend. I think he be much happier when he has a friend. Me and my kids do give him attention but obviously there are times we are not there so at least he will have a play mate. thanks for the great advice

That is fantastic! I'm sure he will love a friend, my bun gets my company most of the day (he's indoor and I'm a student so here a lot) but he is still happier now he has a friend of his own kind.

Have a look in the care reference section at the neutering article, it will tell you about post-op care etc. And remember to request extra metacam (painkiller and anti-inflamatory) to take home, as the injection they may give him there doesnt last more than 24hours.

I know you probably have already had them done, but a quick look at the vaccination article will give you some important info too :) edit: the flystrike one is also an important one for new owners to learn about.

Last edited:
Back