• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks

HorseyHolly

Mama Doe
Took Mischief to the rabbit savvy vet for the first time to get her VHD vaccine and for a check up, the vet found two small sores on both hocks. Which un-surprisingly my previous vet hadn't noticed (I've switched to the new one as the old one reccommended 60g of food a day :roll:)
She was surrendered to the rescue five weeks ago, from her last home, I adopted her a month ago and she has been on carpet, fleece and vetbed since, as she's indoors until bonded. Did she develop sores from her last home? All I know is she was in a hutch outdoors.
The vet said to put a bit of Sudocrem on daily for a week- is this ok? We're going for her Myxi in two weeks so he'll be checking it again then.

Oh and I was happy because it was only £15 per vaccine- all the not as good vets, charge £25, near me :shock:

I found carpet wore them but I think it depends on the individual type of carpet. I got lino put down (was going to anyway) and put down duvets for them to sleep on which cushions it. The absolute best thing is a deep layer of hay but impractical for indoors! I found anything abrasive, ie. vetbed, towels, made it worse and things that are cottony worked best.

Thank you! I have some foam mats that I was going to save for the playhouse for after bonding, but I might put them down in my room tomorrow for her.
They're not too bad currently compared to Rogers and other ones I've seen however I'll consider a salt bath if it gets any worse, but will ask the vet about that first just to make sure :)

Back