• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding at a young age?

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
I have an orphaned 6 week old wild bunny called Logan and really want to get him a girlfriend eventually. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to get him a spayed bun friend soon when he's still young so he doesn't grow up completely without other buns or if I should wait until he's neutered.

I am worried as wild buns tend to develop slower than domestic buns (Tamsin said her wild boy's testicles didn't drop until 9 months :shock: ) and I'd hate for him to spend most of his first year not knowing what a rabbit is.

So basically I'm asking if a non-neutered boy could live with a spayed girlie or would hormones get in the way? Is he too young to bond without him growing up and possibly causing fights? And will he be ok if bonding isn't a good idea until he's older/neutered (he's a house bunny and gets lots of attention)?

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

Last edited:
I would wait personally, as a house bunny he will have lots of attention. The problem is that bunnies start to get the hormones before their balls drop, so before he could be neutered he will probably hump his partner and perhaps even fight. He could even do some damage to himself, I have a 13wk buck that has what looks like a kind of friction burn on his willy.

I've also heard that wildie buns can be more terrortorial so that may make him worse.

So rather than have him bonded and it fall apart and then have to bond him again (which may not work if they fought!) I would suggest waiting and giving him as much attention as you can. Because if you do have to split them it'll be horrible for them both :(

I'm looking at this from the angle that if I had the choice between loving someone and losing them, then loving again or waiting a little longer and never getting my heart broken, I'd choose the second one.

Back