• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female Rabbit is Making a Nest...

Kaellah

Young Bun
Well, I thought this might happen. I traded one of my two neutered males for a female, because the males kept trying to kill each other. I brought the female home, knowing she had been housed with a male and neither were spayed/neutered. I had hoped that that they were still too young to breed (female is about 4 months old, male was about 3 weeks younger), but that doesn't appear to be the case.

She's making a nest right now. She made one a few hours ago in a corner rather than inside her hiding box, which I figured meant it was too small. I put a larger box in there, lined with towels, and she's switched to that instead. She's been taking the hay out of the first nest and putting it all in the box, and then scratching/nudging it all into place. So I figure she's probably going to give birth sometime soon.

We've been keeping her and my other rabbit separated since we first brought her home because she was being too aggressive towards him during their supervised bonding sessions (so no worries about the male hurting the babies). The floor of her cage is solid, so the kits can't fall through. The box I put in is large enough for her and a litter. She has water and all the hay she could eat (or nest with), along with some fresh vegetables and a small amount of pellets.

Is there anything else I should do right now? How long do you think she has before the birth?

nothing special just keep feeding her and keep an eye on her hun.....she will have them when shes ready.....try not to pick her up unless u really have to but stroke her and get her used to u so once she has them u wont distress her too much.....if she has them in a safe place then under no circumstances touch them till they at least a couple of weeks old unless there is some kind of problem....hope this is helpful:wave:

Back