• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice on Castration Aftercare

EB18

Warren Scout
Hi All,

I'm having my 4 month old male lionhead bunny E.B castrated tomorrow and wondered if anyone can give me tips and advice on aftercare? my boyfriend has bought him a snugglesafe heat pad for after the op to put I'n his cage so he can keep him self warm if he gets cold.

This is my first pet rabbit and I love him him to bits and want to make sure I help him recover from the op. He's a house Rabbit with a lovely temperament but I'm getting him neutered as hes getting rather frustrated and thinks my arm is the perfect mate.

I'm really nervous about the op but have spoken to someone else on here that uses the same vets and had a good experience with them neutering her bunny.

Any advice would be really appreciate, I'm probably being a worrying mummy!:love::love:

Hiya :wave: I was really worried too when I had Olly castrated, but it really is a simple procedure, and much easier for males than females :) the most important thing is that they start eating again asap - I think Olly was eating within half an hour of getting home :lol: he loves his food! Try not to worry, just have all his fave foods in stock to tempt him with, don't let him jump about for a few days and I'm sure he'll be fine :wave:

I can only agree with ripminnie, get in lots of niceties and ensure he is eating afterwards and you should be fine. It is a lot less invasive for bucks. :)

Make sure the vets send you home with some painkillers too. If it's a good vet then they should do this automatically, but it's always best to check. It's usually very simple. :)

look on here for threads re eating before an op, no hay other than a little in a rack and keeping warm esp overnight.

hope it goes well

sue

thank you all for the advise much appreciated.

Trixielover just a quick question how long was it before you were able to pick Domino up from the vets? ive been told to drop E.B off between 8.30am and 10.30am :D

I've usually been able to pick up buns between 4pm and 6pm depending on how long they take to wake up properly. :)

thank you all for the advise much appreciated.

Trixielover just a quick question how long was it before you were able to pick Domino up from the vets? ive been told to drop E.B off between 8.30am and 10.30am :D

I dropped him off at about 9.00-9:30ish am and picked him up at about 5-5:30
;)

Make sure the vets give him a pain relief injection that lasts a day, that way he'll recover much faster. Don't bed him on hay or straw as it can irritate the wound, instead fill his cage with towels and put his hay in an elevated rack. Have lots of things on hand to get him eating e.g. fresh veggies, pellets (which can be watered down into a mush if necessary), herbs and fruits are good things to tempt him with. If he doesn't eat within a day of the op, you'll need to syringe-feed a recovery food and take him back to the vets (but it's unlikely to come to that!).

I really wouldn't worry. These are preparations for the worst-case scenario. I've had two bucks neutered, and two male piggies and two male dogs! The boys always recover far faster than the girls as it's a much less invasive procedure.

AMETHYST

Thank you all for the advise has really help me feel a little less worried and more prepared for looking after him afterwards:D

Back