• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spudsey needs a molar dental

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
:( I took Spudsey to the vets yesterday for a vaccination, the vet was feeling around her mouth as being a wildie was avoiding actually looking in her mouth until I said that she should be ok. But without even looking inside she said she felt some sharp bits and when she did look she said she needed her molars rasping. No abscesses but her tongue is red and sore.

I give Spudsey grass and hay daily, not too many pellets, lots of hay and veg. My other half seems to think that i'm giving too much veg? about 200g a day between both rabbits. She also has plenty of things to gnaw on as she is a real gnawer.

She hasn't been dribbling and has been eating ok and I am very reluctant for her to have it done as she is very precious to me and a bit special as she was hand reared by me from a couple of days old :oops:

Is my only option a dental or by changing her diet can I get them worn back down? I've had rabbits have dentals in the past but to be honest I'm still not that clued up about their teeth! Apart from the basics :oops::oops:

If the tongue is getting damaged then a dental is needed. Blackberry needed regular dentals, and the only sign would be that he would stop eating - no dribbling or anything.

It may be that the teeth are just wonky - no amount of good diet can alter the direction teeth grow in, sadly. This was Blackie's problem.

Please go ahead with the dental - it will make such a difference to Spudsey :)

Back