• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wounds - what to bathe with? Salt water or antiseptic?

popcornpigs

Young Bun
Womble is our 11 week old baby dwarf lop - he came to us at the weekend after his previous owners had unsucessfully tried to bond him with thier rabbits and he was bitten on his lower back. :cry: He has been on Septarin for 3 days, (given to me by the rescue center) but the scabs are still really hard - they arn't showing any signs of coming away - although I can't feel any squidgyness underneath them so dont think they are filled with anything nasty. I have clipped the area around them ( two quite large scabs) and bathed them this morning with some cool boiled water and salt.. just to see if I can soften them and lift off the scab and let some air exposed to the wounds. Womble bless him just sat on his towel and didnt move! I dont want to stress him out any more than I have to - should I continue to do this once a day or leave them alone to come away naturally? Or is there anything else I could use such as an antiseptic or savlon type cream? Any advice would be helpfull thankyou!

if area is clean andshows no sign of infection id leave them

has he got a away of possiably get at the sore himself

facts its scabbed up nicely shows its healing

if area is clean andshows no sign of infection id leave them

has he got a away of possiably get at the sore himself

facts its scabbed up nicely shows its healing

O.K - thanks - Since I put him back into his cage he has been washing the area himself.. maybe now I have clipped the hair back he can reach it better?

just watch him for now, seems he doesnt need anymore stress, keep him occupied with toys and the odd treat to discract him so he doesnt get bored

Back