• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny has had sedation

Della33

Young Bun
Hi everyone,
I am new here and my bunny had sedation yesterday 22.06.11 I got him home about 6pm last night and he hasn't had a wee or poo or eaten anything since he's been home. He has had a drink because I could here him through the night on his bottle but I know not weeing pooing or eating isn't a good sign, but I'm not sure if it is just because he is still a bit under the weather from the sedation, he has been very sleepy and laying still since we got home. I just feel very helpless that I can't do anything for him. We have had to change his diet as well so cannot offer him treats at all as they are not good for his tummy.

He is an indoor bunny pure black and coming up for 3 years old.

Any advice or is it a call your vet back situation?

What was the sedation for ? Dental treatment ?

You do need to contact the Vet again now as your Rabbit probably requires some additional treatment to get his GI tract working again

So I'd give the Vet a call now

Good luck :)

:wave:
Have you tried tempting him with his favourites?Maybe some mushed up veg or a dandilion?i think if it were me i would ring vet when it opens and see if you could at least speak to someone because your right its not good for them not to eat for such a long period of time (in bunny terms).

Thanks for your quick answers. He has never had any kind of fruit or veg because he has bad tummy problems, gets a runny tum and then sits in it. His sedation was because of this, to have a dematt and shave his bottom. he hate some of his food this morning from my hand but was literally 2 or 3 pieces. The vet is due to call me this morning regarding his check up so I will tell them then. I'm wondering if he's not eating because I have put his medicine in his food and he hates it but he simply will not take it from a syringe it just ends up all over my walls :-(

sorry to hear he's poorly. what kind of medicine have you been given to syringe feed him?

one of my rabbits is very difficult to syringe feed but with a case of not eating or pooping, its imperative that you get some food and fluids into him asap.

i would speak to your vet sooner rather than later to see if you can take him in for a day so that the vet nurses can syringe feed him - he really needs some food in that tum - and may need an injection of gut stimulant.

he has been given Fibreplex to get his appetite back they said. The only problem I have is I can't take him to the vets because I am at work and don't get home until 6pm :-( I'm worried about him though and work and very supportive on the theory that they say "its just a bunny" and I'm like grrrr actually he's my pet and I love him and he has his own bedroom he's like my baby makes me mad. I will call them now though see what they say.

Thanks everyone it's nice to have advice from other bunny owners wish I'd discovered this site earlier. xxx

its really important that you get him to eat quickly - can anyone else get him to the vets for you this morning?

this is going to sound awful but could you suddenly develop feeling 'poorly' and leave work to get him sorted (i know that sounds terrible but not eating is very very serious and i fear he may not be able to wait til tonight for help:()

Ii;ve spoke to the vets I need to check him at lunch get some fibreplex in him and if he hasnt improved by tonight take him up in the morning. So I'm going home about 11 to see how he is xxx

Hope your bunny is feeling better soon:( its horrible when we're really worried & all (some not all) people think is "it's just a bunny":censored: they're our babies. They are very clever & he'll no doubt know his food is 'contaminated'. Are you able to wrap him in a towel(known as the bunny burrito:lol:) like a swaddled baby which will keep him still to give him his meds? Hope all goes well for you & your little poppet.xx

Just an update for you all. Bunny was in the vets all day and is now home, is being syringe fed 4 times a day and slowly trying to tempt him into his normal food. He has had a wee but no poops as yet keep all fingers crossed. Giving him lots of love and attention bless him. Thank u all so much for your advice! xxx

Just an update for you all. Bunny was in the vets all day and is now home, is being syringe fed 4 times a day and slowly trying to tempt him into his normal food. He has had a wee but no poops as yet keep all fingers crossed. Giving him lots of love and attention bless him. Thank u all so much for your advice! xxx

i'm so glad you managed to take him in:) it will take a while for what's going in to start coming out the other end but keep going!!!! believe me, eric + syringe feeding = nightmare!! we both usually end up covered in it - but at least then he has to lick it all off his fur!

do you have any tasty herbs you could tempt him with? dill, mint or parsley work well here. ooh, and fresh dandelions:)

Yep you can say that again, my walls, me, bunny we are all covered in stinky syringe food haha! He kicks so much we wrap him in a towel and my husband holds him like a baby and he will take it then although he stored a lot of it up the first time and as soon as we put him down he spat it all out haha little sod!
Now about to try once more before bed hopefully he will be good.
I want to put his photo on here going to have a go now.
I don't have any herbs but he's had problems with all these things before but going to try and get some tomorrow for him bless him.
Thanks for your help :)

xx

Yep you can say that again, my walls, me, bunny we are all covered in stinky syringe food haha! He kicks so much we wrap him in a towel and my husband holds him like a baby and he will take it then although he stored a lot of it up the first time and as soon as we put him down he spat it all out haha little sod!
Now about to try once more before bed hopefully he will be good.
I want to put his photo on here going to have a go now.
I don't have any herbs but he's had problems with all these things before but going to try and get some tomorrow for him bless him.
Thanks for your help :)

xx

good luck and keep us updated:D xx

Hi everyone I'm a very happy bunny this morning (no pun intended) Bunny did lots of poo in the night and this morning and had eaten half a bowl of solid food :D really pleased he was up and about and running around all evening and morning as well ! It's good to have him back. We are keeping up the medicine and the syringe feeding until he's 100% xxx

Hi everyone I'm a very happy bunny this morning (no pun intended) Bunny did lots of poo in the night and this morning and had eaten half a bowl of solid food :D really pleased he was up and about and running around all evening and morning as well ! It's good to have him back. We are keeping up the medicine and the syringe feeding until he's 100% xxx

really glad to hear this:D xx

Back