• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been meaning to ask for a while now (run safety) pictures added

We rarely get cats in our garden because of the dogs, even on a night. Ive never seen a fox, though we live near the woods, so theyre probably around.

Marley and Dolly have 24 hour access to the run now its "summer" (not that youd know it!!). Its on concrete with the cm2 weld mesh. Is it safe to give them 24hour access or should i still be locking the catflap at night?

I just know they love being in the run, theyre out there as early as 5am, i dont want to take it away from them on a night, but if its unsafe then i will.

Last edited:
Pics

The weld mesh:

GEDC0253.jpg

This is the only picture i have of the run, no closeups or anything :shock:

GEDC0222.jpg

Safe enough? Opinions please :wave:

your run looks a lot safer than mine which is why my buns dont have 24hr access lol, soon as aviary is done mine will have cat flap always open, i would say its ok if you feel the run is tough enough and secure :)

your run looks a lot safer than mine which is why my buns dont have 24hr access lol, soon as aviary is done mine will have cat flap always open, i would say its ok if you feel the run is tough enough and secure :)

Well i struggle to get into it at the best of times. But because its a fold down run, the sides do move and when we had some really strong wind before, the lid caved in a little bit :shock: Luckily i was there to sort it out, but they could have escaped if i wasnt.

...all the more reason for Sharons fella to make me a new one ;) :lol:

I think I might be concerned that a fox could lift the whole run in one piece. Or is it fastened down somehow?

Well i struggle to get into it at the best of times. But because its a fold down run, the sides do move and when we had some really strong wind before, the lid caved in a little bit :shock: Luckily i was there to sort it out, but they could have escaped if i wasnt.

...all the more reason for Sharons fella to make me a new one ;) :lol:

Haha i have asked him about it but he is away for the next 5 weekends and then hes doing my aviary the weekend after that (hes away with us and sharon next weekend then at various work/wedding commitments) i think he would maybe have to charge a little bit i pay him to do my stuff too :lol: but no more than £20 if that. il have another word and ask if he will do it when free, i think he thought i was joking when i said i posted pictures of him building on RU and was gunna sub let him :lol::lol:

Haha i have asked him about it but he is away for the next 5 weekends and then hes doing my aviary the weekend after that (hes away with us and sharon next weekend then at various work/wedding commitments) i think he would maybe have to charge a little bit i pay him to do my stuff too :lol: but no more than £20 if that. il have another word and ask if he will do it when free, i think he thought i was joking when i said i posted pictures of him building on RU and was gunna sub let him :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I would pay him what he wanted anyway, will probably be more sturdy and still cheaper than the big ones online. Ill try get some quotes from various places anyway. x

I think I might be concerned that a fox could lift the whole run in one piece. Or is it fastened down somehow?

That was my thought too.

Also, how is it attached to the wendy house, as another possibility would be for the fox to drag it away from the playhouse and gain entry that way.

I'm also a little dubious because of the folding aspect of the run - I have one myself and if you lean on the hinged ends then you can push them in. Do you need the run to be able to fold up? If you don't, then I would look into making some adjustments to it so that it can't just be pushed in .... using some metal brackets possibly in place of the hinges.

That was my thought too.

Also, how is it attached to the wendy house, as another possibility would be for the fox to drag it away from the playhouse and gain entry that way.

I'm also a little dubious because of the folding aspect of the run - I have one myself and if you lean on the hinged ends then you can push them in. Do you need the run to be able to fold up? If you don't, then I would look into making some adjustments to it so that it can't just be pushed in .... using some metal brackets possibly in place of the hinges.

Its not properly attached to the wendy house, there are bricks on the side to stop it coming away, they also act as a step for the buns, but im not sure its safe for on a night.
Dad wont attach it properly because he has to move it for the window cleaner to get to the conservatory.

It came with brackets so that you can make it rigid. So the sides dont move in now.

I have one of those runs. They are very heavy so I wouldn't be worried about a fox moving it. mine is a little warped though on the lid so I often tie the top down as my cats have a habit of bouncing on top.

Mine don't get 24 hour access though as it is not attached to my hutch. I think it should be fine though for 24 hour access if you weighed it down a bit with bricks.

Its not properly attached to the wendy house, there are bricks on the side to stop it coming away, they also act as a step for the buns, but im not sure its safe for on a night.
Dad wont attach it properly because he has to move it for the window cleaner to get to the conservatory.

Your dad could use some hasp and staple locks (one part on the run, the other on the wendy house) to attach the two - you can fasten them with padlocks or carabiner clips but they will still be easy enough to undo when the window cleaner comes. :)

http://www.wickes.co.uk/hasp-and-staple-wire/invt/159621/
http://www.wickes.co.uk/safety-hasp-and-staple/invt/159627/

Could you have a lid on the run that comes off when the window cleaner comes? Or does it need to be moved completely out the way?

I have one of those runs. They are very heavy so I wouldn't be worried about a fox moving it. mine is a little warped though on the lid so I often tie the top down as my cats have a habit of bouncing on top.

Mine don't get 24 hour access though as it is not attached to my hutch. I think it should be fine though for 24 hour access if you weighed it down a bit with bricks.

Thanks, my lid has warped too, it drives me mad!!

Your dad could use some hasp and staple locks (one part on the run, the other on the wendy house) to attach the two - you can fasten them with padlocks or carabiner clips but they will still be easy enough to undo when the window cleaner comes. :)

http://www.wickes.co.uk/hasp-and-staple-wire/invt/159621/
http://www.wickes.co.uk/safety-hasp-and-staple/invt/159627/

Thats a good idea, but the run is not flush with the sides of the playhouse, so im not sure how i would fit them/be able to lock them. If that makes sense? :?

I have some little hasp and staples, they arent robust enough but i could have a fiddle and work out if theres anywhere i could put them. Ive decided im going to lock them in on a night for now.

Could you have a lid on the run that comes off when the window cleaner comes? Or does it need to be moved completely out the way?

The lid does lift up, but i cant see the window cleaner chasing rabbits back into the playhouse :lol: Dollys good at making quick escapes too!

Back