• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I thought I'd be posting in Rainbow Bridge this evening :'( U/D Pics p72

It was Mischief :cry:

I can't say much more about what happened right now because I hate going over it in my head but I'll explain later. I'm just so thankful he's alive. :(

Last edited:
I hope whatever danger he was in isn't there anymore and it isn't something you need to worry about again.

It does make you realise how precious they are, doesn't it?

Oh my :( Glad he's ok and I hope you're ok xxx Hugs and you can PM me' anytime if you'd like to talk about it xxx

Not Mischief :( Weird how i was thinking of him earlier too :shock:

Thank God hes here to live another day, i hope hes ok, whatever happened. ((HUGS)) Makes you realise just how fragile life is :( xxxx

Oh no, made my stomach lurch when I saw this thread. I hope everything is ok!
They are so precious, and close experiences like this really make you realise how important they really are.

Lots of hugs to you, I don't know what's happened but I can imagine you must be all shaken up. Like Liz said, it you want to talk about it you can pm me too.
Me, Wally, Bell, Pepsi and Feebs send tons of vibes to Mischeif and you.
xxx

Thank you everyone. It's a long story but this is what happened...

I noticed Mischief was looking very skinny. He eats loads but did feel slightly underweight. I picked up Blossom and even she felt the same weight and she's always been the skinny one. I didn't know whether to worry or not so took both rabbits in to show my mum. She said he did feel skinny but he was eating loads so we probably didn't have to worry. He's the weight he should be, he used to be fat so the change is noticeable.

Anyway, with Mischief and Blossom inside I decided to get the other 2 buns so we could compare their weights. Tink is a right fatty! :lol: I've been feeding her separately from the boys for the last few days and will be doing for a while. I realized I should probably split up the boys when they eat too as I don't want it to be a case of Mischief not getting enough. My mum said I should just get a bit of food for them to make sure Mischief's eating.

So got a bag of Science Selective pellets from outside. (I feed Burgess but had been thinking of changing to SS and have a few small bags and everyday I've been giving the buns 2 or 3 pellets each).

I gave each bun one but when I was giving Mischief another he seemed to be taking ages to eat it. :? When I thought he'd eaten it, I picked one up off the floor that I thought had spilled out of the packed, it was wet and he'd dropped it so I gave it back to him to eat which he did...

That was when the trouble happened. :cry:

He started gipping. I asked my mum what he was doing as rabbits can't be sick. She said she didn't know so I stroked his head and told him he's be ok expecting him to stop. It then got worse, we tried to calm him down but it wouldn't stop. Then this green discharge came pouring out of his nose and mouth, I didn't know what was happening to my baby. He was coughing, spluttering and it was so frightening. He couldn't breath. My mum was blowing into his mouth and we tried to get some water down him as fast as possible in case there was something stuck. My mum even had her finger in his mouth at one point to see if there was anything wedged stopping his breathing. He then started flopping. My mum and I were desperatley trying to help him. I was trying to get some of the discharge off his face so his nostrils weren't blocked up. :(

He desperately needed the vet so I rushed outside to get the pet carrier. Came back in, no difference, breathing heavy, spluttering, this green stuff going everywhere. :cry: We honestly thought he was going to die. He was panicking and in shock. I took the other bunnies back, thinking in my head I would only have 3 bunnies by tonight. :cry: I was almost in tears when I got back inside but my mum told me to stop panicking because if Mischief did die, that's not a nice thing for him to experience with my panicking etc. :(

I stroked his head and comforted him whilst my mum rang the vets. I then got him into the carrier ready to go, by this time he stopped coughing but was breathing excessively.

When we got there we were told by the nurse that the vet was on his way, he had to be called out as he didn't start work until half an hour later. He got there so fast though, 5 mins max but the nurse had already been fab and had taken Mischief to the surgery room and was giving him oxygen and she cleaned him up. :)

The vet arrived and examined him, gave him a shot of pain relief. He was on the oxygen for a good while and the pain relief was sort of like a slight sedation to relax him as he was very stressed. We were given some baytril to give to Mischief up until Sunday and had to keep an eye on him until night.

He was at the vets for a while and it turns out that the he was choking on the 2nd pellet after part of it got wedged down the wrong hole or something. I'm never letting my buns have Science Selective ever again! :cry: Mischief was lucky to be alive as it was serious with him not being able to breath. :cry: The vet said that Mischief was too fragile for them to take a closer look at under GA but we are going back in 2 weeks for a check up providing Mischief is his normal self by then, if not obviously we will have to take him down sooner. If he loses more weight there will probably be an issue and they have to find out what. It isn't his teeth but the food could have got into his lungs I think they said and cause an infection, hence the medicine which should hopefully clear anything up.

Mischief is home now, very sleepy and only eating small amounts of food. I feel so guilty, why was I stupid enough to give him that pellet?! I could have killed him. :cry: I'm so thankful he's ok especially to the nurse who thought quick and got him on the oxygen in time. He couldn't breath. :cry:

Last edited:
That sounds terrifying, I think it must just be bad luck with the SS though, I know loads of people feed it (including us). I can't imagine how I'd have reacted. Thank goodness he's on the mend.

He really has had a narrow escape :cry::cry:

It sounds like maybe he hasn't got used to not having incisors yet and he didn't chew properly, the SS pellet being very big and solid in this case.

I've heard Jane talk about "aspiration pneumonia" before from food getting into the lungs, so your vet is definitely on the case for that one. I hope you all get over the shock soon and that he recovers well. He's lucky you got him to the vets.

That sounds terrifying, I think it must just be bad luck with the SS though, I know loads of people feed it (including us). I can't imagine how I'd have reacted. Thank goodness he's on the mend.

Thanks.

Yeah it's a popular food but after such a scary experience I don't think I have the strength to ever let my 4 go near it in case it happens again. :cry:

Back