• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting Cotton's sister tomorrow

Talael

Young Bun
We've had Cotton a week and have decided to take her sister in as well.

Will they get on ok even though they've been separated a week? They'll be living in the same cage although I could get hold of another one if needed.

What problems can arise with two sisters living together?

:wave: I've not housed two doe's together and I wouldn't try it with my 2 they are both very territorial, I think that's going to be your main issue when their hormones come through, that said I'd still introduce them on neutral ground and thoroughly neutralise the accomodation with white vinegar and all fresh stuff - nothing with one's scent on, it will cause issue's possibly. Fingers crossed it doesn't but to be on the safe side treat it as any bonding :wave:

Well we've brought the un-named one home (just can't think of anything that suits her at the moment :(. She's completely black and a mini-lop. Cotton is grey. Any ideas are appreciated)

They're in play pens next to each other. New one is laying down by the partition that's separating them and Cotton keeps sniffing her. I'm taking it as a good sign. They keeps touching noses through the bars and are happy to clean themselves in front of each other.

Cotton is now rattling the fence with her teeth as tho she's trying to get thru.

I'm just wondering if they are really sisters. I was told they are but new one is HUGE compared to Cotton. Do they grow at different rates or something?

:wave: I've not housed two doe's together and I wouldn't try it with my 2 they are both very territorial, I think that's going to be your main issue when their hormones come through, that said I'd still introduce them on neutral ground and thoroughly neutralise the accomodation with white vinegar and all fresh stuff - nothing with one's scent on, it will cause issue's possibly. Fingers crossed it doesn't but to be on the safe side treat it as any bonding :wave:

^^^ this, apart from I do have two does together :wave:
They are fine but they are very laid back bunnies.

Put them both in their run together. They didn't seem to mind each other at all.

They had a little hop around and a sniff. Unnamed bunny (maybe Smudge) licked Cotton's back a tiny bit but that was about it.

Unnamed seemed very happy but Cotton kept looking miserable. She kept trying to stick her head under the other one all the time, especially under her chin and then in between her legs!!

Cotton is just so tiny compared to the other that it's hard to believe that they come from the same litter. Does anyone know if they should be the same size or if being completely different sizes is normal for sisters at 8 weeks old?

With bunnies from the same litter they can vary greatly in both colour and also in size. It all depends on the genes that they have inherited.

Finally settled on calling her Fidget :)

They're out again today but in separate enclosures. They both keep running up to the bars and sticking their noses in at each other altho Cotton seems to do it more than Fidget.

She also stills seems to put her head down and look miserable even though she's on the other side of the bars. Anyone know what's going on?

My two were together for over 18 months before I spayed them, they only started having little squabbles after 18 months, so I spayed them.

Can't hurt to try, as long as you be aware of any fallings out and seperate them if needed.

Putting her head down is just her being submissive and asking to be groomed. I had two does together and they adored each other. They were spayed at around 6/7 months.

Hi, I had to sister does and they were both different in so many ways, colour, size and personality. But they adored each other. Sadly they have both passed within the last 2 months.:-(

Good luck with your girls. xx

Back