• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pah - Weepy Eye??

susieb1

Mama Doe
Hi,
To cut a long story short, I've been making a nuisance of myself over the last 2/3 weeks in PAH about a rabbit in their adoption section. A one year old GORGEOUS nethie x male ( beautifiul smokey grey colour with a touch of fawn around his nose/chin). His eyes and fur under his eyes were very wet. After several visits and talks/moans etc. with various staff and subsequently the manageress,they took him to their vet.I have been in tonight, he is still there though they have changed his name. Spoke to several members of staff who say he's been to vets, had xrays and teeth etc. are fine. Vet says he's just a rabbit who has weepy eyes? Is there any such thing without there being an underlying reason (I had pestered them to have an xray done to check roots etc.) He is such a cutie - looking anyway - I would like advice as to whether the vets answer is/could be correct. Thanks:wave:

I've never heard of a rabbit, or any animal having a weepy eye for no reason. Everything has a reason. Cynical me would suggest they are not being 100% truthful with you.

Hope I'm wrong.

Hiya:wave: well it's hard to know what to believe isn't it? However,i brought my bunny Nobby home from Harcourt-Browns today where he has been seen by Frances. She took x-rays of his head & spine because he has had a dirty bum for a few days but also suffers with on/off watery eyes,damp nostrils & a slightly wet chin. To her surprise(& mine :Dbut pleased) all x-rays came back clear. Think even Frances is slightly baffled & is pondering wether it could be linked to his ecuniculi instead. Hope this poor little bun is ok. Good for you for pestering them:thumb:

That is what I think. But I don't want to get a welfare association involved if their answer could be correct. When I went in last week the manageress came straight over to me cos she knew what I was there for - again. I asked today what vets he went to I was told it was one in Wellingborough . I did ask which one and he said he didn't know. However came out to me a bit later and told me which one in Northampton which is a chain - this one has only been open a few weeks and don't want to sound cynical but. This fella will be a handful for someone as he doesn't like being handled as he's not used to it but his face is SOO gorgeous. I'm tempted to take him to get him out of there but how I feel is that they should be sorting it not passing the problem to someone else. I have told them this too. His name has been changed since last week too - do I look that stupid - duh!!:(

Hiya:wave: well it's hard to know what to believe isn't it? However,i brought my bunny Nobby home from Harcourt-Browns today where he has been seen by Frances. She took x-rays of his head & spine because he has had a dirty bum for a few days but also suffers with on/off watery eyes,damp nostrils & a slightly wet chin. To her surprise(& mine :Dbut pleased) all x-rays came back clear. Think even Frances is slightly baffled & is pondering wether it could be linked to his ecuniculi instead. Hope this poor little bun is ok. Good for you for pestering them:thumb:

Glad your buns xrays came back clear:thumb:
If it is just a watery eye and no problem then fine but I'm really not convinced and feel very guilty for leaving the fella there. However I have to protect my two cheeky buns.

Anyone else's buns have watery eyes for no reason?? Still feeling bad for this little chap.:(

One of my buns had two corneal ulcers which were treated and now healed, but the infection caused the tear duct to block, and despite aggresive treatment we havent managed to unblock it. So he is left with a watery eye which we cant really do anything about. Maybe a blocked tear duct is the problem with the PAH bun.

Glad your buns xrays came back clear:thumb:
If it is just a watery eye and no problem then fine but I'm really not convinced and feel very guilty for leaving the fella there. However I have to protect my two cheeky buns.

Hmmm yes i know what you mean,I wouldn't have a lot of faith in P@H either,only reason I tend to go in is because their hay cookies tempt Nobby to eat more hay& puppy pads for around the tray mishaps! I always want to snaffle all the bunnies & take them home!!!:(

My friend had been in there today to look at him and asked about him. She was told the same about the eye but they told her that the only concern the vet has was for his weight as he is very overweight?!? They have a rabbit awareness day there tomorrrow - mmmmmmm......................................

Back