• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail clipping

cazzat1979

Warren Scout
How do you guys manage it?? i had Minnies done at the vet the first time and she said only the very tip can come off as the pinky bit is near to the end!! but i think that her nails are what makes her scratch her back and end up with a scab,so i am guessing she needs them done fairly often,i am quite confident i can do it myself just wanted some tips,i managed to do one but she legs it lol
xx

I get a strong man to hold them in a sitting position wrapped in a towel, its important they dont move or you could end up cutting into the vein it bleeds a surprising amount! Then I move the towel so I can get to each foot in turn. Dont rush, be careful, do one pair (both back or both front) one day and the others the next if need be. I tend to do this with my bun as he gets quite angry about it.

I dont get mine done at the vets as he trances them as its easier to do that way, but very very stressful for the poor bunny.

I do it by myself as no-one can help me, I don't like people touching my buns to start off with:oops:

SO basically I put them on the kitchen table and there will be a nice big pile of veg or pellets to keep them entertained.

I do the back feet first and then the front paws, I do them every 3/4 weeks so its only ever a trim of the nail.

The only one I have problems with is Lola as she wants to be down and never waits for me to finish, it takes 4 days to do her nails as I do a paw a day and it stops her from getting stressed:wave:

I sit them up on my lap whilst i'm sat on the floor. I prefer to be close to the ground so they feel safer. I sit on the doorstep to be in the correct position to do this.

I then put an arm under there front set of paws. I let them get comfy and then from this position it's easy to clip the back nails.

The front nails, i ask them nicely if i can clip them and speak soothingly to them whilst i proceed with this.

Bunnies shiver if you go to near the quick, i prefer to keep away from this and have nails slightly longer rather than cut precisely above the quick as there is too big chance of clipping it by accident- especially with black nails.

It's simple, but if i'm struggling i'll go to the vets and get them to help me. If a bun is under dental operation then i'll make sure they are clipped at the same time.

I generally just do what shows from under the fur, checking no quick is showing. I can't do Nutmeg though. Our vet did her today and she was as good as gold for him :roll: I usually put them on the sofa while I sit on the floor and bend round them rather than moving them if that makes sense.

I generally just do what shows from under the fur, checking no quick is showing. I can't do Nutmeg though. Our vet did her today and she was as good as gold for him :roll: I usually put them on the sofa while I sit on the floor and bend round them rather than moving them if that makes sense.

I'd agree with this.

As everyone says. Also, if it is a black nail and you can't see the quick. Gently squeeze the nail with the clippers. If the flinch it is going to bleed. If no reaction then it is safe.

my OH holds the bunny so the buns back is against OH's tummy. 1 hand suporting/holding bottom feet, other across tummy but holding front feet.

all the little toes on display, bunnies don't seem stressed and its over quickly! :)

I do Rolo's nails little and often. Being an indoor bun, his grow quite quickly.

He sits and lets me do it, but then grumps about all day!:roll:

I think I get more stressed out than him. But...its a really good excuse for a calm-down glass of wine afterwards! (hic!)

Rach x

we do ours on the sofa. Reggie can be done happily by one person as he is a good boy. I sit him on my knee then move him round to do his feet. Ruby is much harder and requires two of us as she tries to get away so my OH holds her tightly and I do her claws. I usually just cut to the fur as Ruby's nails are quite dark (reggie's are light so I can see his quick) but last week the vet said her nails were long and showed me the quick and said I could get about another 3mm off compared to what I usually do. I'm still yet to try cutting her claws again though. She has been in a naughty mood for a few days so not best time to try yet!

I noticed on the hayexperts site that a tip is to shine a torch under dark nails to see the quick.:wave:

Pie is generally good as gold, I have to hold her on her back and OH clips the nails back - only up to the fur line. She has white nails so it's easy to see.

Obie o the other hand is a nightmare! :roll: Absolutely fine when at the vets having it done but terrible at home. I have to hold him really firmly on his front while on my lap (hates it on his back) and OH will hold each toe so he doesn't feel the clipping as much. We use the 'torch' method for him as he has dark nails.
We do our's every 2 weeks as they grow quickly because of being indoors all the time. :wave:

I noticed on the hayexperts site that a tip is to shine a torch under dark nails to see the quick.:wave:

I was just going to say this but I use a head torch. Using a hand torch requires four hands, without it just requires three ;)

I was just going to say this but I use a head torch. Using a hand torch requires four hands, without it just requires three ;)

:lol::lol: I was trying to picture holding them long enough to see where the quick was and clip! I have to do it on my own so might be tricky! Thankfully there are only a couple of dark ones!!

I do Rolo's nails little and often. Being an indoor bun, his grow quite quickly.

He sits and lets me do it, but then grumps about all day!:roll:

I think I get more stressed out than him. But...its a really good excuse for a calm-down glass of wine afterwards! (hic!)

Rach x

Defo a good excuse lol x

thanks for all the tips xx

Our vet did them for us but he basically let Buckley stay fully right way up, I had to hold him across his shoulders like a boss rabbit would do and the vet squirmed his finger underneath each paw, gently splayed the toes and clipped maybe 2 or 3mm off each nail :)

I think I'll get them done by the vet the next couple of time so I can see that it works and then try myself :)

Back