• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

.x.Rach.x.

Alpha Buck
I've discovered loads of diff hays the bunnies will eat now! Finally :thumb: (A huge sack of meadow hay mixed in with various other stuff used to be acceptable for nomming by Lewis and Lottie). Anyway, they can't get enough of the Western Timothy Hay by Oxbow, I made a large order, so have quite a bit atm, amongst orchard grass, readigrass, oat hay etc.... I'm currently using the meadow hay I have left over for the litter tray (which they seem to eat when in the litter tray, they just wouldn't eat it from the hanging basket) and timothy hay in the hanging basket, mixed with a handful each of the special hays, does that sound about right? I've heard readigrass is higher in calcium, so you should feed a lower amount...

Gold poops are finally back on the scene :thumb: :lol::lol::lol:

Also, anyone know of good places to order timothy hay online (cheap)? There was one site I came across but the pages weren't working properly, can't remember what it was called. I paid £8.50 for a bag that weighs just over a pound. My vets actually sell timothy hay... but it was yellow :? The stuff I've got is really green.. why is this? Is it to do with the time of year?

I dont know about the other questions but Animal Magic Pet Supplies used to sell timothy hay in boxes, and it was cheap if you got a good size box.

H4P timothy is different to normal timothy though, very different. Its my buns favourite though, its brilliant quality hay, smells gorgeous.

eta- its like this:

IMG-20110622-00057.jpg

the big white thing is my Barney getting overexcited because I opened the hay box :oops: sorry its so blurry and big, it looked okay on my phone!

Last edited:
how do I know if the hay you give my rabbits is ok? I always thought hay was hay was hay,but obviously not. I get mine from a local outdoors-y type place. I'm not actually sure what kind of hay it is. They do seem to eat it and it doesn't smell unpleasant.

how do I know if the hay you give my rabbits is ok? I always thought hay was hay was hay,but obviously not. I get mine from a local outdoors-y type place. I'm not actually sure what kind of hay it is. They do seem to eat it and it doesn't smell unpleasant.

It is probably Meadow Hay, as long as they enjoy eating it and are eating enough of it (a pile minimum the size of themselves a day, preferably more) and have good poops then that is okay :) Baled is usually better quality and smells nicer. To find out what types of hay your bunnies prefer get some samples like these:
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...e+Pack.23/Taster+Selection+Sample+Pack.6.html
and this site does samples of their hays too, their hay is baled but bagged up to order: http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/products.html

that's a great idea. Will try that and let them decide themselves. Will also try some of those famous fenugreek crunchies :)

Back