• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing help!

I have two outdoor mini lops so may not understand indoor housing as well, but I would have thought that that cage would be too small for two mini lops or two dwarf lops. Were you intending to lock them in it whilst you are out? I would see if you could get a dog crate or something bigger if I were you.

Last edited:
No cage I've seen on the market aimed at rabbits is big enough :( If they are being shut in it for any length of time it must be at least 12 sq ft. :)

I'd say no - I have a Ferplast 100 cage but it is only for my elderly guinea who is only 750g and does not move about too much these days. If I ever get space to bring my other 2 guineas inside I know it would be way too small for them.

Thanks for the replies...

This may be a silly question, but if I were to go down the indoor pen route, would I still need a cage/hutch?

Thanks for the replies...

This may be a silly question, but if I were to go down the indoor pen route, would I still need a cage/hutch?

I don't have proper experience of indoor rabbits.

I'd say it'd depend on where you kept them and whether they had access to things you wouldn't want them to chew. If you were going to put them in a bunny-proof room which they had 24/7 access to then an indoor pen becomes less important. Even then, I would say they'd need somewhere comfortable to go when they want to rest, but if they're never going to be shut inside it, the size doesn't matter as much, so long as they can lie flat and reach up on their hind legs inside it. Also, where would you put the hay and food? - hay gets everywhere, so you may want to confine it to a pen of some sort.

Mine free-range and I don't use a cage at all. They have places that they feel safe ie. the lops like it under a chair and under my bed; my lions like it under the desk or under an old small table. :) So while they don't have a cage or crate, they do have areas where they feel safe and that they can hide in or under. All their hay lives in their litter trays. :)

Back