• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing towels

shilps

New Kit
Cottontail's taken to chewing his towel. Is this ok? I've bought him a cotton rope dog toy as a distraction but is it ok to for him to play with?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm still quite a new and nervous rabbit owner.

Hi,

That was my other concern, I think he might be eating fragments of it too.:?

hmmm, it is okay for him to chew it, but I'm not so sure about eating it. Small amounts wont do him any harm but large amounts may be indigestible. Is he pooing okay, and do they look as they usually do? I would keep an eye on his poops and watch for any change or if they stop. Healthy poos are large and crumble if you pinch them, usually golden in colour, although this is mainly due to the rest of his diet as well, so dont panic if they are not like this, you're looking for any change from normal.

If he is just chewing it you'll get the remmenants on the floor in little bits, if there are just big holes with nothing left behind he's eating it.

We best wait for someone with more knowledge to come along :) but dont worry, bunnies eat much worse (like walls!) and get away with it with no ill effects.

Walls ??????

Oh yes :lol: some bunnies get a taste for plaster. My own ones will have a go at wallpaper but only if its loose thankfully.

My rescue bunnies prefer foam tiles, although I dont think they are actually eating it.

Carpet is also a favourite among house bunnies.

Could you take away the towel and give bun a fleecy blanket instead? My bunny is a chewer, but doesn't chew on fleece!

Thanks for the advice, his stools are ok so maybe he's not actually eating any, or maybe a negligible amount.

We have spare fleece so will try that on him.

Thanks all again.

Back